Help! High Humidity throughout incubation

So a few hours ago I decided to check the other eggs quickly to see if some chicks had started to pop at the wrong end. Sure enough there were two. They are egg number 2 and 5 in this picture. Second row. They both have a hole and their beak sticking out. I'm not sure how long they have been like this but the membrane is very dark which leads me to believe they pipped last night and I didn't know because all the chicks that pipped today still have white membrane. What would you do in this case?

Attachments

• DSC_9495.JPG
    DSC_9495.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 9
So a few hours ago I decided to check the other eggs quickly to see if some chicks had started to pop at the wrong end. Sure enough there were two. They are egg number 2 and 5 in this picture. Second row. They both have a hole and their beak sticking out. I'm not sure how long they have been like this but the membrane is very dark which leads me to believe they pipped last night and I didn't know because all the chicks that pipped today still have white membrane. What would you do in this case?
Doing great!

Did you candle the eggs to make sure you had the air cell up during incubation? Tilted down will make the hatch out of the small end--where the air cell is

So a few hours ago I decided to check the other eggs quickly to see if some chicks had started to pop at the wrong end. Sure enough there were two.
Good thinking! :highfive:

For that reason I might move them all flat. Hard call. But since I think your hygrometer was incorrect, maybe. But the toughest call for me is how many time the incubator will be open. :confused:

Seriously NICE catch! :thumbsup

Yes! She is doing much better now! It's so funny how they just fall asleep anywhere! I will definitely get the nutri drench! I'm suppose to leave them in the incubator for 24 hours right?
You can leave her in there either until she is dry and fluffy or for a while longer if you have others mid hatch and dont want to open the bator to get her out. Besides she will encourage the others to get on with hatching. She can be in the bator for up to 48 hours thanks to the yolk she just absorbed so you are fine to leave her.

OK, I'm going to say lay the malpositioned ones flat, pip side up. goose the humidity with nice warm water and close the bator asap. These little ones may take a bit longer to zip. The membrane may need a little coconut oil or vaseline to stay moist.

Only thing I'm not diggin'... is those chicks now being on that bare grate... since I have read that it should be lined to help prevent injury.

But In personally wouldn't try to change that now. Maybe for the next hatch.
That plastic mesh? It's fine, better than the metal.

@Elizabeth777 what kind of incubator do you have? (apologies if I missed it or forgot)

Sometimes I have to do that if the egg isn't very egg shaped. Before I realized that was a good way to tell I did have the air cell down once. :hmm But luckily caught it at candle. :)
I know! Some eggs are like torpedoes!

I had that happen once that I know of. I did not catch quickly because I do not candle all the time anymore.

The chick broke out of the shell like the hulk though. I did not have to assist

Back
Top Bottom