Help!! Hopewell says my chickens must go!

piggaboo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
I live in Hopewell Va, and after having my chickens since2011, I was informed by ac that I have too many chickens (17) , law says 4. I did my research before getting the first chick, and at that time, I was told I could have roosters, no limit on # , I only had to provide a fenced area and housing that protected them. Now I'm fighting to keep what I have and only have til this weekend unless the city attorney lengthens the time til I get a definite answer of yes or no. I've had no complaints from any of my neighbors the entire time- it was an off-duty cop looking to rent next door that called in on me!! The ordinance was passed in 2012, a year after I got them. Does anyone know if I can definitely get grandfathered in here- it seems no one at the city can give me a straight answer at this time.... If worst comes to worst, I am only able to cull 1 or 2 per weekend, when my husband is home..we just don't have freezer space for that many at once! Any help is appreciated!!

images

Oh, I am so sorry!! That stinks. All I can do is lead you to this section of BYC on chicken laws and how to change them...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Take a look around this thread and maybe you can gain the knowledge as to how to change their minds. I sure hope you can keep your babies!!

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

I think you are being bullied into getting rid of them - let HIM find a house elsewhere. It's like people moving in next to an airport and then complaining about the noise.

Animal control just came by with a summons- I have til 4-7 to get rid of 13 of the 17. They JUST started laying well again! I am fighting this and illness as well- I no longer have the energy to devote to both. I am seriously thinking of selling them ALL. They are all going on 3 yrs old .. Considering $10 ea. Anyone near me want some good hens??

BTW- the types I have are black giants and black austrolorps , white giants, white brahmas and one each of NH red a partridge hen.

Thank you for your post, drumstick diva...it's true - you'd think the idiot would look elsewhere to live if he didn't like what he saw. I found out he IS moving in. He has already put a bad taste in the mouths of many of his new neighbors. We are going to call his employers if he even farts the wrong way...we are going to make his *** sorry as hell for picking on the little guy. He's gonna get tired of having to face his fellow officers for every dumb thing he does!! I just hope he's month to month instead of a lease, he'll be SO SICK of us all if he has to stay a year....he picked the wrong people this time. And even tho my chickens will be gone, we're not going to let him forget them.

Back
Top Bottom