Help!! Hopewell says my chickens must go!

I would think if you were within ordinances before they were changed that you would be grandfathered in... I wouldn't think it would take much more than a call from an attorney to get them to backup a bit... Wish you the best and sympathize with your plight.

I've paid visits to both zoning and the city attys office. I never received an answer from either, but city atty gave the answer to animal control that I can't be grandfathered in, as it was included in the ordinance. Ac sympathized and said if she was me she would fight, but I just no longer have the energy. I wrote to the mayor as well, and await his reply. I don't have the freezer room nor time/energy to butcher them. It just kills me that after almost 3 years of raising and caring for these gals, not mention buying 500 egg cartons, I have to "just get rid of them". They have been such a great source of joy.. I sat and watched them for hours at a time- they were my reason to get up every morning, to both get eggs and "visit".

Please, please, at least see if you can talk to an attorney to make them follow the letter of the law. What they are doing sounds more like bullying, and like they are hoping you don't know the law.

Thank you.. I will contact an attorney tomorrow to see if they can help me out...can't do it today, afraid I'll cry if I try to talk about it today. :(

Thank you Diana- yours and everyone else's replies have given me some hope that maybe I can keep my ladies. Thank you all for your help and caring!
Carla

I know you posted this a while ago, but just saw your post. I think I know where you live, as I live in the same neighborhood. We had our chickens long before the changes made to the city ordinance. Mine are not noticeable from any side of our yard. What ended up happening with your chickens?

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens
wink.png
!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom