Help!!!Hot Chickens?

Hi, well we haven't gotten to 90 yet here..sorry to hear yall are getting some of our heat.
sad.png

This is what I do to keep my flock cool.. I have several homemade pools,not more than a couple of inches deep.I just grab some 1X4's or 2x4 make a square,nail 'em together,put bisqueen down & you have yourself a wading pool.
smile.png
My chickens were weary of getting in a kiddie pool. Also I run soaker hoses under the fig trees for them.
It's a chore but everyday when it's extremely hot,I make 5 gallons of vitamins & electrolite water.My flock is pretty big & they can go thru that in a days time.
Someone mentioned watermelon, that's a another good way too.That's why I'm growing some this year,lol.
Good luck & stay cool, Miriam

We moved to Oregon from Northern CA Jolyn, so we know what you mean when you say hot. It's only about 90 degrees here in Oregon but that appears to be pretty hot for chickens!

I gave them the fan from my bedroom last night but I'll be heading out for a window fan this afternoon.

I'm just still so surprised how hot my coop got inside? It's so well built, but I don't think we used actual insulation, just two layers of plywood. My coop isn't quite as big as Gopherboys. I think ours is about 8 x8x8? Roomy for 5 chickens but hot!

I'll be checking my girls often today. Yesterday I also wet down the run in the afternoon and that seemed to help, although initially the hose completly freaked them out
ep.gif

Thanks everybody for all your support. Its good to know I'm not he only one out there who worries a little
wink.png

I was pleased how well mine did yesterday, we shall see if today is any different.

I think more ventlation is better.
My girls did FINE last winter in a not fully enclosed coop (never did get the door on
hmm.png

BUT they were happy!
1 - out of the wind,
2 - out of the rain

I worry MUCH more about heat.

I worried MORE about the chicks I still have in my garage, they go to their new homes next week.

But even they were fine.

This morning I opened the back of the garage (faces west) EARLY 5am and closed whenI left for work 7am. They have 2 fans and lots of water.

I never even saw any of the chicks/chickens pant yesterday!

today? that could be a different story!
it is currently 92 but supposed to get up to 97

It is 102 degrees in the shade at my house today. In Oregon!!! In May!!!! Where is the spring!!!

I have a fan out in the run but I don't know what to do about my coop? It's 105 degrees in there with the windows open, two BIG windows!
Why do you think its so hot in there?
Maybe another window or a screen door?

We gave them the ice cold watermelon, we're hosing down the run and changing the water every hour or so but they're still panting away...

I can't believe this weather. This is one of the main reasons we left Northern CA, tooooo hot!

My girls and I, human and feathered, are NOT HAPPY
sad.png

:eek: I know!!! I live in Corvallis...and it was hot yesterday, and they were panting too. But today it was already really hot by 10 am!!

I don't think you should worry, I am sure rain is just around the corner! I guess we don't need to worry about our chicks being too cold anymore at least, right!

Anyway, nice to see a fellow Oregonian chicken lover here!!
big_smile.png

I live in Grants pass oregon and im having the same problems with my chickens. I put a sprinkler system in the coop and there loving it!! hope this heat passes

We brought ours in today at 8 a.m......They are in a big box in my bathroom. I went and checked on the bunny when i got home from my sons field trip and he is doing much better today. I stuck three big bottles of frozen water in his cage when i left this morning.

Dh is going to work on the run and put some different wire over the windows so we can keep them open.

I am in So. Cal (yuck!) and it is very hot here today also. I have sprayed down the coop (no run just yet) a couple times today, put cool water w/electrolytes out, and put a watermelon end in there also. I will freeze a couple water bottles tonight to put in there tomorrow. Pardon me for asking a stupid question though... what are the water bottles used for? Do they just sit on/near them? I feel like an idiot not figuring that out for myself, lol.

I was wondering also about the water bottles too. Do they lay near them to keep cool?

It is nice to see some other chicken loving Oregonians!!! Hello to everybody and thanks for all the great advice.

Josh, is the sprinkler system like one of those misting systems that you put up top? Do they like it? Mine don't seem to love water too much?

Back
Top Bottom