HELP! Hova bator incubator??

cresty

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
Can anyone tell me if the Hova bator incubator is worth buying???? And soon. I need to make a decision pretty quick.
Thanks,
Cresty

In 3 days I will know -- my eggs are due the 24th. I have a new hovabator 1588 (circulated air, picture window, pre-set thermostat) with automatic turner. So far, of 50 eggs, only 4 have died (another 10 were infertile or so damaged in shipping they didn't even begin to develop).

I can't help much either, but I hear they are good. I have silkies due on the 28th. I have a still air with a turner. I'm crossing my fingers!
wink.png

Yes they work well and hold their temperature. I have not used them for chickens yet but have ran about 500 or so bearded dragon eggs through them at 100% humidity, no problems.

As long as they are in a room with a steady temperature, they hold their temps. I know in my basement they'd drop between 4-7 degrees every night in the Winter.

Humidity can be trying, depending on how it is where you live.

I had great success with styrofoam incubators last year. Right now I hate them. LOL

If you are going to invest in a styrofoam incubator, I would recommend that you get at least the forced air unit. They can be converted after the fact but it is not easy for someone who is not electrically knowlegeable. Most people who have bought the still air units have ended up converting them or getting the forced air unit and using them for a hatcher.

I tried one and had terrible luck with it. Being very new to the process was part of it but I ended up buying a Brower Top Hatch after several failed hatches. The point I am making is spend the extra up front rather than trying to retrofit one later. You can always turn the eggs by hand but the fan makes a very much better incubator.

Good Luck,

I'm on my 3rd hatch with a Little Giant forced air foam incubator with an automatic turner and so far my hatch rate has been 90%. I think that the Hova-bator is pretty much the same, I have a friend who uses a Hova-bator with good results also. I have only used mine inside of the house with room temperatures that are pretty much consistent so I don't know how it would do with a fluctuating temperature in an unheated room. Good luck and happy hatching!
smile.png

I have one. It's has the fan, turner, and small windows. I admit, my hatch rates have been terrible but I finally realized that living in a mobile home with big windows on every side caused the temps to fluctuate too much. So I have put my bator in a box with a blanket under and over it and it holds temp much better. My last hatch was good considering most of the eggs turned out not to be fertilized. Only 2 developed and then died about half way through. I do have problems with maintaining humidity, though. If I had the money I'd get (don't remember the name) the one with the water bottle on the outside that takes care of all that automatically. I also am brand new at this and that could have contributed to my poor hatch rates. hth

Hi Cresty,
I think you will not go wrong for selecting a hova-bator incubator unless your planning on getting into large hatchings of chicks. Where Marion has had a 90% hatchability, I have always had a consistant 50% hatchability from my hova-bator. Even still, I feel it is a rewarding experience. Like I say this type incubation is sufficient, unless your wanting large hatchings. Get one and enjoy! Oh yea, please get an automatic egg turner with yours. You dont' want to be trying to hand turn nearly 50 eggs twice a day or something like that. They are a life saver. Johnny

Last edited:
Hi Cresty
I have a hova-bator, forced air incubator with the auto egg turner. I now have 30 eggs in it. this the 4th time I have used it. When you purchase it,buy a good thermometer. My first attempt was a failure because my cheap themometer was 4 degrees off. since then I have had good results.
Good Luck Ray

Back
Top Bottom