Help! Hovabator wet bulb

vanlash

Chirping
Apr 17, 2011
Does anyone have a hovabator and use the hovabator thermometers to hatch the eggs? I have a hovabator and I was not successful with a hatch. Not one hatched, tho some started to form. I have one of those plastic thermometers laying right on top of the eggs and when it measures at 99.5, the thermometer on the hovabator is at 90 degrees. The web bulb on the hovabator wet bulb setting was at 60 degrees.

So, I increased the humidity by adding in cups of water and it is now at 80%. I just candled and the eggs are developing. I just want to make sure that I have the humidity right. I'm a bit confused by the wet temperature being rated as a % or in degrees.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
smile.png

Also has anyone combined duck and chicken eggs in one hatch successfully?

Does anyone have a hovabator and use the hovabator thermometers to hatch the eggs? I have a hovabator and I was not successful with a hatch. Not one hatched, tho some started to form. I have one of those plastic thermometers laying right on top of the eggs and when it measures at 99.5, the thermometer on the hovabator is at 90 degrees. The web bulb on the hovabator wet bulb setting was at 60 degrees.

So, I increased the humidity by adding in cups of water and it is now at 80%. I just candled and the eggs are developing. I just want to make sure that I have the humidity right. I'm a bit confused by the wet temperature being rated as a % or in degrees.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
smile.png

Also has anyone combined duck and chicken eggs in one hatch successfully?
It would help to know which model hovabator this is. Is it a circulated model(fan) or still air(no fan)? The plastic thermometers that sit on top of the eggs are usually not accurate.
Sounds like you may be confusing relative humidity % (percent) with wet bulb temperature but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Not sure if my answer needed to be posted here or via reply in my email, so I'm doing both. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a still air incubator (7200 I think) I just ordered the fan kit today. I "think" the hovabator second temp. gauge is a web bulb thermometer (please correct me if that is wrong). I'm also assuming the guage is in degrees not percent...

Not sure if my answer needed to be posted here or via reply in my email, so I'm doing both.  Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, it is a still air incubator (7200 I think)  I just ordered the fan kit today.  I "think" the hovabator second temp. gauge is a web bulb thermometer (please correct me if that is wrong). I'm also assuming the guage is in degrees not percent...

I'm not familiar with that model number. Are you sure this is a GQF Hovabator and not a Little Giant incubator? In either case wet bulb thermometers do not function well in still air incubators. It will work better once you install the fan kit. I would still be concerned over the wide variance of the 2 thermometers you mentioned in your first post. I would invest in a good digital thermometer. Here's a link to the one I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Brinsea-BGB-S...370511&sr=8-1&keywords=spot+check+thermometer

Thank you for that info. I was totally wrong, its a Farm Innovator 2100, still air. I bought it used. I had some paperwork (that I now realize did not come from the manufacturer that said the humidity should be 80-85 degrees). I think I am going to lose these duck eggs as I am on day 15 and it has been that high. When I looked up the manual on the internet it says it should be at 50-55%. So now I'm thinking the built in hygrometer is in percent, not degrees.

I did candle the eggs on day 10 and I saw movement and development. I am now lowering the humidity to the recommended 50-55% based on the built in hygrometer. But probably too late, right? I am so bummed.

Thank you for the reference on the thermometer. I did order one today also, but it is a Incutherm digital therm. with probe.

Ok that makes sense! Yes that hygrometer is in percent. Invest in a good hygrometer like this one http://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Digit...TF8&qid=1423373893&sr=8-3&keywords=hygrometer

I wouldn't give up on your eggs yet. Check the size of the air cells by candling and compare them to charts you can find on the Internet. If the cells are too small compared to the chart I would reduce humidity 10% below the recommendation reading and recheck the cells after 7 days and adjust the humidity accordingly. Definitely use the higher recommended humidity during the last few days of incubation.

I candled again today. It looks like 2 are still alive and moving. :( One air sac looked the right size and the other looked to little. I did lower the humidity. Here's to hoping those two little guys make it.

Back
Top Bottom