Help! How can I catch or permanently drive away someone's rooster in my parent's property?

Do you have an animal control officer? Perhaps they might have a trap that would work. Then the rooster becomes their problem... But, first, I'd contact the likely owner. I'd not feed this noisy boy for sure!

Today, I noticed that one of my rooster( a mid ranking rooster when compared to my other roosters), is getting aggressive towards him. They probably want to fight, so that one have rights over the females. Anyways, I went closer to him, so that I can catch him. He saw me, and then moved about 6 inches farther away from me. Few seconds later, my rooster inside the cage tried to catch his attention again. So, I take the opportunity to move closer to him, and stay directly behind him. He noticed me again, and about 1-2 seconds later, my rooster inside the cage tried to attack him, and he responded by trying to attack him back. At that moment, I tried to grab his tail feathers( I usually grab the side, but a thought came to me before I grab it, that I should grab his tail instead, since the chances of catching him in that way is higher than by putting my hands on his side, to catch him). He screamed like a person that is going to get killed or hurt badly, while I am holding him.

I easily decided that I should put him back near my neighbor's house, since I know how it feels like to lose a pet rooster even though I am not sure that his owner still wants him, and it is not given to me. Few months ago, one of my rooster was chased away by my other rooster, and he didn't manage to come back up to now. I searched for him for at least 45 minutes, but I gave up, since I think that he is captured(I didn't hear his crow( he crows all day long), nor did I see him near the back of the house( chickens usually stay near the area for at least 12 hours if they get lost).

One of his parents is probably a chicken with feathers on it's feet and legs, since he have feathers on his feet and legs, but it is not a lot like what pure breeds have. When I put him near my neighbor's house, I saw a chicken that looked very similar to him in terms of feather coloring, but he is taller and there is no feathers on his feet and legs. I also saw a hen in a cage that looked like the one that I put few months ago.

* I let my mom cut a huge part of his wing feathers, to make it easier to catch him(he doesn't appear to be tame, and my neighbor and I should have an easy time to catch him by exhausting him, if they chase him for at least few minutes continously), and to prevent him from coming back. There is a possibility that someone else deliberately put him on my parents property, so cutting some of his wing feathers is a good idea, if someone decided to put him back on my parent's property.

I tried to catch him at 8pm while he is roosting on the mango tree, by using the long ladder and something long with a wood on the end, where he will put his feet. I actually tried it 2 days ago and today, but he doesn't want to put his feet on the wood 2 days ago, and he put his feet back on the branch of the tree, while I am trying to lower it down today. I doubt it would be successful, even though I manage to lower it down and I can get him really close to the hands. Since this chicken is not tame, I think it will try to fly away, if it saw any human body parts close to him, even at night.

I think I saw a rooster, that has the same body color as him when I tried to put back the hen last month. It is only 3 houses away from my parent's house, and if I cut the wing feathers really good, then I don't think it can fly at least 6 feet high, just to reach the top of the fence.
Hello, instead of using something long with a wood on the end, use a long stick with a mesh landing net, (like the ones use for catch & release fish) at the end of it. Either Duck tape if or tie it with a cord, this way you can scoop the rooster from where he is perched. I made something like that to catch my chickens when they don't want to come back to the coop. Just make sure the net opening is big enough for the rooster to go in. You can get these landing nets at Wal-Mart or any fishing store.

Where do you live? You said there is a mango tree which indicates that you live in a warm climate year round, is that correct? Since he is not tame, is he feral? There are feral chickens that live in warm climates.

Also, did you ask your neighbor if he owns the rooster?

Hello, instead of using something long with a wood on the end, use a long stick with a mesh landing net, (like the ones use for catch & release fish) at the end of it. Either Duck tape if or tie it with a cord, this way you can scoop the rooster from where he is perched. I made something like that to catch my chickens when they don't want to come back to the coop. Just make sure the net opening is big enough for the rooster to go in. You can get these landing nets at Wal-Mart or any fishing store.

I might try that, if a hard to catch chicken decide to stay in here in the future. However, there is a possibility that it won't work, if the chicken is smart enough to fly out of it, before my hand reach the net.

Where do you live? You said there is a mango tree which indicates that you live in a warm climate year round, is that correct? Since he is not tame, is he feral? There are feral chickens that live in warm climates.

Also, did you ask your neighbor if he owns the rooster?

I am not sure if he is a feral chicken. I think he is a hybrid and the parents are cock fighting and chicken with feathers on the feet and legs. Judging by the length of his spur, he is probably at least 2 years old. I have chickens that I tried to tame starting they are young, but still, they are hard to catch, when they are free range. The difference between the rooster and my chicken, is that the rooster is smart enough to use his wings to go to the mango tree and into the other side of the fence and manage to fly higher and come back easily, thus making it very difficult for me to catch it like the way I use for my chickens.

I am reluctant to ask my neighbor if he owns the rooster. I am sure that animal control came to his house to take away some of his/her cock fighting rooster since his/her other neighbor is complaining about them being noisy. I think my neighbor still have roosters, but they don't crow a lot. The rooster starts crowing loudly starting at 1 am or 3-4 am and do it at hundreds of times from 6:30am to 6 pm everyday. Also, I really don't want to keep the rooster on the property much longer, since my neighbor is complaining about the noise of my rooster(bantam cochin), even though it crows significantly less than the rooster that is not mine.

A hen came in here few months ago, and roost at exactly the same tree that the rooster tried to roost. When I put back the hen near my neighbors property, I saw 2 other hens that look like her( the same breed). So, the rooster is probably their rooster, even though I didn't ask my neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom