Help! How can i get my ducks out of the pond?!

Can you throw something in to make the water splash and scare them out? (Not actually hitting any of them btw, just scaring them out).
Tried that already: Hit the water with a 2x2 - they just paddled to the other side of the pond and looked at the idiot, beating up the water… I think they laughed at me.

I also remember having to guide them to the bank with a light and then without any hesitation whatsoever, keep on guiding them to their house without startling them at all.

I've spent many hours trying to get my ducks off the pond at night. Sometimes, I'd just have to take a break and go back after an hour or so and try again.
They had their chance! It is now pitch black around the pond, as the sky is covered in clouds now. I almost fell over a log on the way back from the pond, even though i had a flashlight.

Last edited:
I don't even have an inflatable rubber-boat! The pond is not that large, but very deep > 3m (10') and the ground is pure loam, so you easily get stuck.
Im sorry this isn't helpful right now, but I have a feeling I see a project in your future: a dock/ramp :) might as well get yourself a kayak at Wally world, too.

Maybe you can focus some of that stressed energy on preparing an emergency station for them tomorrow if they do end up needing supplemental heat, treatment for frostbite or what have you. Or planning and preparing their favorite snack as a bribe.
Best cure for frostbite is a pressure cooker i was told! :mad:
I am mad at them, i almost fell over a log on the way down from the pond.

Im sorry this isn't helpful right now, but I have a feeling I see a project in your future: a dock/ramp :) might as well get yourself a kayak at Wally world, too.
I will lower a pallet into the water tomorrow morning, so they have something like a ramp to get out and then throw firecrackers. 🧨

I think the temps are not the biggest worry. Predators definitely would be my biggest worry.

@WannaBeHillBilly do you have a high predator load there?

I know tonight this may not work BUT....my ducks like a lazer light almost as much as a cat does.
It might be a good idea to lazer light train them going forward. Being very curious creatures they have to see what that red glowing dot is doing.

Doing this in the pouring down rain was the worst times for me, especially because my ducks are TERRIFIED of umbrellas. So I'd be trying to tempt, coax, or trick them to come up the bank. I had to leave them out on the pond twice, but my ducks were older than yours are now. They were just more determined those nights

I think the temps are not the biggest worry. Predators definitely would be my biggest worry.

@WannaBeHillBilly do you have a high predator load there?

I know tonight this may not work BUT....my ducks like a lazer light almost as much as a cat does.
It might be a good idea to lazer light train them going forward. Being very curious creatures they have to see what that red glowing dot is doing.
I was thinking about this but wasn't sure if it was only something here. Tbis worked for mine several times. I agree about predators too. That was my concern here.

Back
Top Bottom