Help! How can i get my ducks out of the pond?!

I could not resist, switched my phone to night vision and snuck up to the pond.
Those b*itches were happily chatting in the middle of the pond until I turned on the flashlight. Loud protest QUACKS but they stayed put out of reach for everyone.
Did you try the laser light?

How did you get night vision on your phone?!?

Today my 13 Fall Ducklings, together with some of my older ducks discovered the pond! I was kind of cute to see them bobbing on the water, diving and dabbling for food, but when it got dark, only the old ducks came back home. Now i have 13 three month old ducks sitting on my pond, refusing to get out and the temperature will drop below the freezing mark tonight! The forecast is predicting -4° (25F), but i am up in the hills and it will be colder here.
Can they survive those temperatures on the water?
How safe are ducks on the water in regards of predators? - I saw a fox on my driveway just three days ago…
I tried everything, talking nicely, handing out cat-food, cursing loudly, yelling - they show me their middle-toe.
Any ideas? It is pitch black at the pond, the walls of the pond are very steep - one of the former owners of the property drowned in there and i am alone, so they just paddle to the other side and laugh at me…
This is the only way I'd keep ducks. Lol they seem to be content there. Wish them luck, and go back inside!🤣🤷‍♀️

Just watched your video on YouTube. How did the ducks do last night?

You know, maybe you should build them a floating duck house, with a rope tied to it so you can pull it in to check for eggs. They would be happy, but then they’d be more like wild ducks than your pets.

Or, trick them all into coming back to the house during the day and then lock them up until you can erect a barrier between them and the pond.

I will be in the same boat if mine ever find our ponds. They can all get through the field fence, except for Petey.

Did you try the laser light?

How did you get night vision on your phone?!?
I don't have a laser-pointer anymore, the one that i have is no longer working. :(
My phone has a camera mode called night vision, i don't know what exactly it is doing, it is not an infrared-camera, but it can see more than my eyes. It helps when walking through a really dark area.

Good morning! I’m assuming they ended up staying on the pond all night? I’m sure they will get hungry and come out this morning.
Think again! Yes, they spent the whole night on the pond, but hungry? Pffft! There were plenty of newt and frogs in that pond.
As soon as i let the grown up ducks out of the run today they all took off, ran up the hill and jumped in. Now i have 36 ducks on that pond. Only my oldest Runners stayed around the house.

Think again! Yes, they spent the whole night on the pond, but hungry? Pffft! There were plenty of newt and frogs in that pond.
As soon as i let the grown up ducks out of the run today they all took off, ran up the hill and jumped in. Now i have 36 ducks on that pond. Only my oldest Runners stayed around the house.
Oh no

Back
Top Bottom