HELP: How do I create friendly chickens??

korpse

Chirping
Jun 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Hey guys!
I have 5 chicks that are nearly 4 weeks old - a cuckoo maran, a speckled Sussex, and 3 silkies.
I want to raise them to be friendly pets, but I’m becoming discouraged. It’s making me spend less time with them because I’m just not sure what to do! :(
They aren’t liking being held much anymore.
Is it too late? What can I do to make them friendly?? I’m desperate😭

1FE347EE-9FAF-418C-9780-7F19A9C95735.jpeg
B01FB21B-EAA3-4C1F-B058-E57217D722F6.jpeg

Yes, best not to reach from above. Also, each grooms herself, and does it by beaking under and through her feathers. She shakes herself to settle her feathers; actually, probably does more than that-with the tiny muscles just under her skin. In any case there is nothing like petting.

And their feathers are especially sensitive when they are growing. So, I don't pet... at least until they are thoroughly tame. Then I might see how much they mind some light stroking.

And I think petting feels scary because it is a little like being trapped.

They do like to jump up on things. I think that really encouraged them to jump up on my knees as I sat with them. Once there, they discovered they liked the warmth. And they felt safe because it wasn't so open and I didn't do anything scary like hold them or move except very slowly. After a few days, some of them like to squeeze in between my arm and my body but that isn't scary because they are choosing to do it. And I give them soft contented sounds.

And food helps. Lol. I give them some greens which they can eat easily if I hold the end firmly. If I don't hold the ends, they can't tear a bite off unless someone else is biting the other end. I think that is the purpose of the grab it and run game they play.... it isn't very effective. As more of them figure out they do better taking bites from what I'm holding, they crowd around and some get a better angle from my hand or lap. Some just like to eat from there, and will even when they are the only one there.

Of my 11, ten are more willing to hang out on my lap than I want and one will hop up for short visits but never stays long.

Last edited:
Oh. And how flighty they are by nature, doesn't change the method, just the degree of how calm and quiet to be and how long it takes. Flighty can mean the taming goes faster. I have two breeds, black australorps are known for being calm and brown leghorns are known for being flighty. The leghorns are the first to try everything, including hopping up. The australorps are more willing to try again sooner if I do something that spooks them .. like clear my throat.

Yes, best not to reach from above. Also, each grooms herself, and does it by beaking under and through her feathers. She shakes herself to settle her feathers; actually, probably does more than that-with the tiny muscles just under her skin. In any case there is nothing like petting.

And their feathers are especially sensitive when they are growing. So, I don't pet... at least until they are thoroughly tame. Then I might see how much they mind some light stroking.

And I think petting feels scary because it is a little like being trapped.

They do like to jump up on things. I think that really encouraged them to jump up on my knees as I sat with them. Once there, they discovered they liked the warmth. And they felt safe because it wasn't so open and I didn't do anything scary like hold them or move except very slowly. After a few days, some of them like to squeeze in between my arm and my body but that isn't scary because they are choosing to do it. And I give them soft contented sounds.

And food helps. Lol. I give them some greens which they can eat easily if I hold the end firmly. If I don't hold the ends, they can't tear a bite off unless someone else is biting the other end. I think that is the purpose of the grab it and run game they play.... it isn't very effective. As more of them figure out they do better taking bites from what I'm holding, they crowd around and some get a better angle from my hand or lap. Some just like to eat from there, and will even when they are the only one there.

Of my 11, ten are somewhat more willing to hang out on my lap than I want and one will hop up for short visits but never stays long.
Thank you, I was wondering about petting them at this age! I was thinking it couldn’t be comfortable with those feathers growing in!

Try sitting down with them and letting them climb onto you (if they will). My CiCi (the Buckeye throwing attitude on my shoulder in my avatar :lau) HATES to be picked up (and always has since day 1) but LOVES sitting in my lap and tucking under my arm so she can get pets and cuddles. Talk nicely to them and let them check you out. Some of my girls really don’t like to be picked up, but others are more tolerant of it. It IS possible you got a batch of Littles who just don’t like getting picked up :idunno .

Hey guys!
I have 5 chicks that are nearly 4 weeks old - a cuckoo maran, a speckled Sussex, and 3 silkies.
I want to raise them to be friendly pets, but I’m becoming discouraged. It’s making me spend less time with them because I’m just not sure what to do! :(
They aren’t liking being held much anymore.
Is it too late? What can I do to make them friendly?? I’m desperate😭

View attachment 2708694View attachment 2708695
Maybe hold them a lot and they will be very friendly to you and they will be friends with each other because they met at a young age

Back
Top Bottom