Help! How do I kill my chicken without pain?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by danihoff19, Sep 14, 2016.

1. danihoff19

danihoff19 New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    Kentucky
    Hi I was wondering if there is a way to peacefully send a chicken off to chicken heaven. One of my hens was attacked by some predator and is in a lot of pain, blind in both eyes. I'm pretty sure that the bite to her back damaged her ability to use her wings. I just want to know how to send her off without starting her or causing her pain. Can I inject her with Vicodin or some other pain medicine? I don't mean like Tylenol or ibuprofen but like oxycodone or oxycotin or Vicodin. Could that work? I can't imagine using any form of blade on her. We wouldn't be able to. Please let me know, I want to end her suffering and pain.

2. 1cock2hens

1cock2hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    The Far SW of missouri
    The least hands on way I can think of is a way that some dispatch predators, asphyxiation. put her in a box covered a with a blanket then run a hose from your car exhaust to the box, the fumes will kill the chicken painlessly, it will just fall asleep..

Of course you should read up on the method, some cars are surprisingly clean and just won't do the job. I hope that help you

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. danihoff19

danihoff19 New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    Kentucky

Will she be afraid though? And I've heard some people said it burns their eyes and it's hot.

4. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    I am really sorry for you and your bird - it is a terrible situation for you both. I understand your desire to end her suffering with the least pain possible for her and for you.

There has recently been a thread highlighted on BYC about this very issue:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/ways-to-euthanize-a-chicken

Personally I tend to use the axe method, but only because I have a husband who is very competent with an axe, and I am able to hold the bird still for the few seconds that it takes. It is never a pleasant thing to have to do, but it is better than letting a bird suffer.

I wish you all the best - I know that it will be hard for you, but in the end you will be doing the right thing for your girl.

5. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    So sorry that you are in this situation. Trust me, I can relate. Unfortunately I had to do this for the first time yesterday. I read many, many threads on the subject. Here is a copy and paste from one of those. It is the method that I chose and it was not as bad as I had imagined though still very tough. Appeared completely painless to the bird. There was no movement or anything after the separation.

6. 1cock2hens

1cock2hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    The Far SW of missouri
    I was raised on a commercial chicken farm and have killed hundreds if not thousands of injured or sick chickens, we always snapped there necks, 9 out of 10 times they flop furiously, it's not for the squeamish , if the OP can't stomach using a knife I find it hard to imagine it would be easier to snap it's Neck.. idk my first thoughts was i wish they weren't a quarter of the way across the country i would just do it for them

7. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I wrap their body in a towel, so their wings are bound. Then I wrap their head with a rag to block out light. That calms them down.

I then take a shovel or axe, straddle the chicken between my knees on the ground, use the rag to extend their neck, and use whatever tool I have to sever the spinal cord. It's instant and painless. The bird will have muscle spasms as the electric nerve impulses fire reflexively, but the chicken is "gone."

It's never an easy thing to do, but I hope that helps. :(

MrsB

PS - I still cry a little every time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by