HELP! How do i stop chicks eating layers pellets and vice versa???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brandon97, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Brandon97

Brandon97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    Hi its brandon.
    I have quite a few chicks at the mo ( 20 or so) in a brooder. But i have decided to try using a broody hen. It is now days away from hatch date, and something dawned on me, how do i stop the chicks eating layers pellets and mummy eating the chick starter??? As you can see, I have always used an incubator, and have never used a hen. PLEASE HELP ASAP!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Once the babies are born, you take the pellets outs and put in the starter/grower. The mama can eat the starter/grower as well. It will not be a problem for mama to eat the starter/grower. I think a lot of us do the same thing. I do it all the time. They alll will be fine.

Good Luck.

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Mom can eat the starter, no worries there. [​IMG]

Make sure to post pics when they hatch!

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

A broody hen has stopped laying, so they don't need the extra calcium in the layer pellets. She probably won't lay again for a few weeks or a month after she stops taking care of the chicks. Since she has been sitting on the nest and taking care of the babies, she needs the extra protein from the chick starter to make up for possible muscle loss. It's all good. Mama and babies all eating the same thing.

5. Brandon97

Brandon97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    Thanks guys, panic over, i will post pics when they hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by