Help....How long can the incubator stay at 35.5 (96) degrees?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Airbus, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Airbus

Airbus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2016
    Bradford County PA
    Been tweaking a home built its been holding temp within .2 degrees C. I was quite proud. Sadly for unknown reason I just found it at 35.5 (96) and assume it was like that for a few hrs, it took me awhile to jury rig up a backup bulb on another thermostat. It's back to temp but I'm wondering
    If they are all gonners.

Any ideas how long or low a stable temp can get without issue I mean hens got to eat but not for hrs

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If it was a few hours I would not write them off. I have seen people have power outtages for 12-24 hours and still have decent hatches. How far along in incubation are the eggs?

3. Airbus

Airbus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2016
    Bradford County PA
    I'm on day 10/11 added a few the next day.
    Was going to candle them tonight but maybe I should wait till tomorrow so they don't get over stressed they been back to a stable temp for while??

I'm wondering if one of my ceramic heaters failed?
    Or the dell power supply couldn't supply them both or some wierd computer supply flutter ?

As I type this it's been holding temp again working within 0.2c for an hour
    Without the backup light coming on, I set that .5 c lower

So far I've been really impressed with 12v ceramic heat powered by old PC power supply
    Runs the fans too!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It's all Greek to me...lol That's why I haven't attempted to make my own... If it's been holding a steady temp for a few hours and you want to candle a couple, I would. The inside of the egg doesn't loose enough heat just candling unless you keep them out for an extended period.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by