Help! How to address Flystrike in a flock

Silkiequestion

Chirping
Jun 17, 2022
I sadly discovered that our Silkie Roo had succumbed likely to shock from a flystrike infestation. I cannot determine which kind of fly lay the eggs and am not sure what to do next as we have 4 two week old chicks and 3 hens that shared a coop with him. What do people think? What would you suggest? Thank you so so much! Can the larvae infest our other chickens if they had been snuggling a lot which they do?

Do you see any poopy butts or any wounds? That is usually where a fly deposits the eggs. If one is lame and lying on the ground, it could also occur. I would look them all over. Sorry for your loss. Do you see flies around the coop on the droppings? You could rake up droppings, and make sure to keep the bedding dry and add new bedding as needed. I use sand in my run, and just clean up with a kitty litter shovel. Permethrin spray can be safely used in chicken coops and it lasts 30 days. It will control flies, lice, mites, but should not be used if you raise bees.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I had just changed out the bedding last week from our coop so it was all fresh bedding. We have a sand run area and had just added in charcoal to freshen it with several new bags of sand. Flies are not common in our backyard where our coop is so I'm really at a loss. I will make sure to check our other chickens out thoroughly tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom