Help! How to clip a guinea's toenail

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
One of my guineas is limping -- she had been a little bit for a long time but recently it got worse and I noticed her middle toenail is way too long. I assume I should clip it. Did I mention my guineas are crazy weird ones?! I love them but they just do their own thing. I have never been able to tame them even though I held them every day as young'uns -- they just run around as a gang of 5 acting like a bunch of wild guineas. How the heck am I gonna catch her and clip her toenail? And survive myself? Last time one got badly injured I couldn't even hold her for more than a second without her going all nuts on me and scraping me up and fighting to get away. They are strong!! Advice?

Also, how do I know how far to clip the nail? And what tool should I use?

Last edited:
Wait until dark and go out where they rooster. Use a towel and wrap her up in it like a burrito so she can't flap around.

Just like on dogs the nails will bleed. Just carefull nip the tip if you must cut it.

However, I would inspect her for hip, leg, foot injury if she is limping. That would have to be a 3 inch long nail to cause limping.

thanks, Miss Prissy,
I don't think her nail caused limping in the beginning, but I suspect she has been walking differently for a month or two and that middle toenail is not getting worn down evenly with the others because of some other leg or hip injury. Does that make sense?

I will check her leg, but I have found it hard to diagnose leg problems in general. I tried with a chicken and a turkey but could never find anything wrong -- on the foot, the toe, the leg, the hip nothing felt or looked out of place. I wish they could tell where it hurts!

Back
Top Bottom