1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! How to clip a guinea's toenail

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by chickenannie, Mar 23, 2009.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    One of my guineas is limping -- she had been a little bit for a long time but recently it got worse and I noticed her middle toenail is way too long. I assume I should clip it. Did I mention my guineas are crazy weird ones?! I love them but they just do their own thing. I have never been able to tame them even though I held them every day as young'uns -- they just run around as a gang of 5 acting like a bunch of wild guineas. How the heck am I gonna catch her and clip her toenail? And survive myself? Last time one got badly injured I couldn't even hold her for more than a second without her going all nuts on me and scraping me up and fighting to get away. They are strong!! Advice?

Also, how do I know how far to clip the nail? And what tool should I use?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    anyone?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wait until dark and go out where they rooster. Use a towel and wrap her up in it like a burrito so she can't flap around.

Just like on dogs the nails will bleed. Just carefull nip the tip if you must cut it.

However, I would inspect her for hip, leg, foot injury if she is limping. That would have to be a 3 inch long nail to cause limping.

4. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    thanks, Miss Prissy,
    I don't think her nail caused limping in the beginning, but I suspect she has been walking differently for a month or two and that middle toenail is not getting worn down evenly with the others because of some other leg or hip injury. Does that make sense?

I will check her leg, but I have found it hard to diagnose leg problems in general. I tried with a chicken and a turkey but could never find anything wrong -- on the foot, the toe, the leg, the hip nothing felt or looked out of place. I wish they could tell where it hurts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by