Help! How to find our new chickens that didn't go into the coop tonight?

kristenk

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 20, 2013
We got 2 new chickens the day before yesterday, one is small (maybe 3 months) and one is standard-sized. We have a totally enclosed, very secure yard, it's at least an acre and there's a lot of bushes/trees in it. When I went out tonight to shut the coop, the 2 new chickens were nowhere to be seen. I've looked for over an hour with my husband and son & I can't find them anywhere. Have looked in trees, bushes, under our camper, etc. Is there any way to help locate a chicken at night? I know they're pretty out of it when they sleep, but I don't think any predator got them since there was no evidence of it. I just think our old chickens chased them out of the coop. I probably won't sleep tonight knowing they're out there, I baited our live trap thinking that if any raccoon or fox came looking for them, I'd catch them before they get the chickens, but I can't help but worry!

make noise shake bushes and look inside things. They won't be asleep they will start clucking and making noises. Check under wheel wells and in pump houses. Mine like to sneak in the shed. if you have any lumber leaning look under it. they will probably be near the other birds but not near enough to get chased away. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I've looked at every square inch of the area around the coop, and hit all the bushes with sticks & I just can't figure it out. I already caught the raccoon, so that's out of the way. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if they make it through ok. I sure hope they do.

Check trees... Yes, they will roost pretty high. Also check garages, carports, any place that has elevated beams that can be used as perches. Chickens want to be up high at night.

Thanks so much, I just found one of them WAY up in a tree! My standard poodle helped find her, I don't know why I didn't bring her out earlier. She went right to the base of the tree & kept looking up - she got 2 treats tonight. ;) I'm hoping the baby is up there too & I just can't see her. I'll lock them in the coop for a few days after they come down tomorrow so they can learn where to go at night. Thanks again for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom