HELP HURT CHICKEN STEPPED ON

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShellnOkla, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ShellnOkla

ShellnOkla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Barnsdall/Avant/Boonies
    While feeding lastnight a chick 5 to 6 weeks old was stepped on accidentally on her head, she is still alive breathing but lifeless this is my 1st time raising chickens i have had good luck so far with 30 chickens but this one lil accident i just dont know what too do for her, she is in a dog box inside house i have some straw in there and a little blanket, she is getting a syringe with pedialite every 2 hours but she keeps throwing her head all the way back and stretching out her legs, there is no wounds to be seen she cant walk right now but i just keep her wrapped up and petting her and praying over her and feeding her with liquid she opened her eyes a little today better then lastnight for sure. am i just a hopeless cause? am i making her suffer? how do you know if you are longing her suffering or making progress in this situation? please help if at all possible. thank you

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am sorry, I don't have any advice but I am sure someone will come on soon who will. Just wanted to say that I am really sorry this happened. I know it must be heart breaking. It is one of my biggest fears since they like to stay under foot. [​IMG] I hope she recovers.

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    God bless you. I'm so sorry. You're doing the best you can from your heart for the little one. I'm praying right now for you and the little chick.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

In the next day or so, if she does not improve... Do the best you can and do what you think is right for the bird. I suspect that head throwing is brain damage. Sorry.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    for this type of head injury you will need prednisone to control the inflammation in the brain with additional vit E. you can get this at a vet and they will tell you how to further proceed.

6. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I have to agree with silkiechick. I'm so sorry! The same thing happened to me the other day. I had a new baby stepped on and I had to put her down and it killed me. This was the first time I had to do this. Unfortunately that happens sometimes with chickens. They are very small, delicate creatures. [​IMG] God Bless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by