HELP: Hypothermic/road rash pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by otis7, Feb 14, 2015.

1. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    I picked up a chicken who had fallen off a Purdue truck. She had spent an entire night outside, I grabbed her at 8:30 this morning. She was ice cold and gasping for air. I've slowly warmed her up and she is perking up slightly. She has a large area of torn skin under her wing and a small hole. When should I offer food/water? What anti biotic is recomended? I am an ACO, we have clavamox liquid and biomox. I also have a variety of pills I can give if someone can help me with dosage.

2. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    PLEASE HELP, I have never gotten a response on this forum for any kind of ailment. Is there any information/dosage for clavamox/biomox in chickens someone can point me too? And yes, I have searched and read many articles but I need more information to save this girl.

3. jannakaye

jannakaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    If the wound is deep, try to wrap it, I think that would help. Dose her like you would a dog with the clavamox. If you can, get some save a chick or electrolytes of some sort and give her, and you might try giving her a little food. Get some triple antibiotic cream and put on the wound.

4. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    The bottle of clavamox I have says 1 and a half CCs and that was for a full grown cat.

5. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Oh and make sure you put peroxide on the area.

6. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep her warm till she recovers. Use Triple antibiotic with NO painkiller. Supposed to be toxic to chickens. Chickens have amazing recuperative ability. Good luck. [​IMG]

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Make sure you keep her hydrated.

8. otis7

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    She's taking small sips of water, and by small I mean barely. Her breathing is still labored. I have some electrolyte mix, warm. I dose cats 1ml 2x daily for 10 days, kittens .5ml 2x a day. Should I dose her like a cat or a kitten? Do they tolerate it the same? I'd guess she's about four or five pounds. The wound is like torn skin, about four inches long. I'll post a picture when I can, so I don't stress her more.

9. jannakaye

Jul 28, 2014
    Mississippi
    Give her half a ml. You're doing good.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Make sure she stays warm. She is used to a warm environment. She is not at all acclimated to winter weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by