Help I’m an idiot :(

Wilder92

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2022
First time incubator as I saved some eggs that the neighbors duck abandoned two weeks ago. They started pipping about 36 hours ago. This guy made two small pips and was peeping up a storm. I got paranoid that the membrane was to sticky or dry. I pulled away some of the shell and saw it had started to separate from the shell so I started removing some of the shell and the membrane was dry in some spots. I wet a qtip and dabbed the the membrane and two (appears to be small ones) veins started to bleed a little. What should I do? He clearly wasn’t ready to hatch and my anxiety got the best of me. My humidity is 78% and temp 98.5.

Attachments

• 77CBF057-B15A-4739-9F52-C57D8ECE6C5A.jpeg
    77CBF057-B15A-4739-9F52-C57D8ECE6C5A.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 19
First time incubator as I saved some eggs that the neighbors duck abandoned two weeks ago. They started pipping about 36 hours ago. This guy made two small pips and was peeping up a storm. I got paranoid that the membrane was to sticky or dry. I pulled away some of the shell and saw it had started to separate from the shell so I started removing some of the shell and the membrane was dry in some spots. I wet a qtip and dabbed the the membrane and two (appears to be small ones) veins started to bleed a little. What should I do? He clearly wasn’t ready to hatch and my anxiety got the best of me. My humidity is 78% and temp 98.5.
Dont beat yourself up, it's okay.
Should you have removed some shell? Probably not, but hatching is stressful and we all make mistakes as we learn. A tiny bit of bleeding isnt the end of the world. Brush a little coconut oil onto the membrane, if you have some, this may need to be repeated every couple hours to prevent the membrane drying out. Then as long as bleeding has stopped fully, sit on your hands a bit longer. Ducklings are very slow hatchers and it isn't abnormal for them to take a couple days to complete the hatch.
In the meantime, have a little read of the Assisted hatching article

Do you know what breed of duck they are?
Keep me updated!

Dont beat yourself up, it's okay.
Should you have removed some shell? Probably not, but hatching is stressful and we all make mistakes as we learn. A tiny bit of bleeding isnt the end of the world. Brush a little coconut oil onto the membrane, if you have some, this may need to be repeated every couple hours to prevent the membrane drying out. Then as long as bleeding has stopped fully, sit on your hands a bit longer. Ducklings are very slow hatchers and it isn't abnormal for them to take a couple days to complete the hatch.
In the meantime, have a little read of the Assisted hatching article

Do you know what breed of duck they are?
Keep me updated!
Hi!

Thank you so much for the reassuring words. I’ve been so anxious thru this whole process. Our neighbor has khaki cambells 3 females and 3 drakes. Well every year at least one female lays her eggs in our flower bed. Well late April not one but two females made a joint nest and there was at least 30 some eggs in there. Sadly only one hatched and it went missing a day later. Well end of June both females came back again! And they laid about 20 eggs. Sadly two weeks ago something scared them off and ate half of the eggs :( they wouldn’t come back so I quickly went to tsc, candled the eggs and started incubating. I couldn’t consciously let the eggs sit there and die. Sadly we have lost 2 out of the 10 I have saved but fingers crossed I have a few ducklings but the end of the week! I will most certainly keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom