Help I’m so stupid

Nik1

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2019
I put weed and feed on my grass thinking I can keep my hens off of it for a week. But now reading it wasn’t a good idea. How long should I keep my hens off.. is it going to hurt them? I’m freaking out

Most of the weed and feed products are granular and designed to last a while as the granules are slowly dissolved by multiple rains.
I would think that 2 good heavy rains would be enough for all the product to dissolve and there would be nothing left for the birds to pick through. Whatever broad leaf weeds had absorbed the herbicide will have died by then and would not be consumed by the birds.

What's that? A weed killer and fertilizer?
I would be very careful with you're livestock and not let them in a place where you used pesticides. Better be sure to keep the chickens and eggs healthy.

Please tell us what ingedient you are talking about. Some pesticides take a long time dissolve and the grass / plants can get poisoned too.

I put weed and feed on my grass thinking I can keep my hens off of it for a week.
Not stupid, just a mistake.
Can you keep the birds off the area?
Keeping a chemically enhanced lush lawn is contradictory with keeping chickens. Not just the chemical exposure, 'clean food' is why many folks keep chickens, they will tear up parts of the grass, but will also fertilize it.

Most of the weed and feed products are granular and designed to last a while as the granules are slowly dissolved by multiple rains.
I would think that 2 good heavy rains would be enough for all the product to dissolve and there would be nothing left for the birds to pick through. Whatever broad leaf weeds had absorbed the herbicide will have died by then and would not be consumed by the birds.
Ditto Dat!^^^

I would be very careful with you're livestock and not let them in a place where you used pesticides. Better be sure to keep the chickens and eggs healthy.

Please tell us what ingedient you are talking about. Some pesticides take a long time dissolve and the grass / plants can get poisoned too.
Weed and feed is not a pesticide.

Look up the exact ingredient list, and the MSDS on it, and then you will have a better idea how long to keep your birds out of that area.
Herbicides are not a good idea, when you have chickens! All those nice broad leaved volunteer plants will keep the lawn green, and the birds enjoying them. And they will fertilize the area at the same time!
Mary

There is, that would be an herbicide.....
......but a pesticide would to control pests(insects or other 'animals').
My English is not so good. I got the names mixed up. But... Both herbicides and pesticides are poisons and this is why I don't use both of them : Pesticide and herbicide exposure can be potentially harmful or even fatal.

Back
Top Bottom