help! I am seriously addicted to chickens and want more

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Lisser, May 23, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

We started with 10 mixed breed chicks for "bug control". We have an 8x8' coop (plus other livestock buildings that the chickens can use when they start to free range) and 10 acres. My chickens are now about 9 - 12 weeks old. One died a couple weeks ago (she was always unthrifty), but all the others are active and vigorous. We made a temporary run for them while they're getting "grown". I have for sure two roosters - they are crowing. One of the others that I THOUGHT was a pullet appears to be growing saddle feathers [​IMG] And 3 others have red combs.

One of the crowing roosters is a silkie mix that is just the sweetest - pure white and so fluffy. He started out as the biggest but now the others are all bigger than him. I don't want to let him free-range cause I'm pretty sure he'll be hawk-bait so we've been talking about building a chicken tractor for him and some "girls". The other rooster that crows so far is a nice bird - was planning to keep him for the main flock. Now that it looks like I only have 2 for sure pullets and several "maybe"s I'm thinking about ordering some pullet chicks from a hatchery so they won't be too different in age from the main flock. I've read on this forum many posts about roosters that are too hard on hens, that fight, etc. I will get rid of the extra roos if it comes to that, but as this is my first batch of chickens, I am attached to all of them! They climb all over me, eat from my hands, etc.

For my little silkie mix roo, I was thinking about getting some EE's to be his girlfriends - I want egg-layers that won't get too big. I am thinking that way they'll be a little bigger than him and maybe he won't pick on them when he gets mature. I was thinking of getting 4.

For my main flock, I have been considering some cochin pullets, wyandottes, and favorelles. I like variety. [​IMG] If I end up with two or more roos in my main flock, how many pullets do I need to keep the peace? Remember, my coop is only 8 x 8, but that will not include the silkie roo & EE's. Once the chickens are full grown I will let them free-range during the day, and close up the hens and main rooster at night.

To the experienced chicken-keepers out there, what do you think of my plans? Any other advice?

Thank you!!! [​IMG]

2. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    Unfortunatly for me chickens are like shoes & purses to others.[​IMG] And cheaper!

3. Build a bigger coop [​IMG]

4. ejcimd

ejcimd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Maine
    Oh yeah....

It starts with some for laying eggs... Then you think well why not have my own chickens to fill the freezer.. There are so many lovely chickens and the sounds they make are so peaceful and I am including my boys with their crowing..

Be prepared to have multiple coops....[​IMG]

5. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    think about it: you are asking people on the crazy chicken forum if you should get more chickens?? Guess what answer you are gonna get.
    IMHO Got some more, a few won't hurt.

6. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    We started off with 10, lost 5 to a snake, replaced the lost 5 with another 8... I sense a trend here, lol. Already planning on building another coop next spring to get a bunch of bantams, I think we've caught chicken fever.

I vote bigger coop too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by