HELP!!!! I am trying to resist opening the incubator...

(sub)UrbanCoop

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 8, 2012
City of Five Flags
I am on day 19.

Overnight I had 6 chicks hatch out and this morning the incubator is overflowing with babies that are stumbling over one another and over the unhatched eggs. I am afraid someone is going to get stabbed with a sharp toe nail.

However, they are not dry.

I under estimated how many eggs would actually hatch, and was not expecting they would all hatch out at once.

I have 7 chicks out of 12 eggs (however the other eggs could still go any minute) in a small Brisnea Mini style incubator.

Can I thin out the ranks somehow and move them to the brooder if I move them as a group???

I can't answer your question, but I'm glad to know that you had such success with your incubator. I've got the same one and it's about to go into its first use. I'll follow along to find out the answer as well. Good luck!

I would like to see the link? And I would leave them till there dry and the other eggs hatch. I had mine in a very small space and they climbed all over the the other eggs and chicks. They where fine. They are tougher then they look!

Yes, I'd love to see the link. I think, based purely on reading other stuff on here, once you go into lock down you just let them go for it. I can only imagine how tough that is to do.

Here is a link to the incubator I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGG-INCUBAT...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item4abd69cfd6

This is the UK version, as it is 220v. It is forced air and has a thermostat on top. You would only need to use about a teaspoon of water in the middle of the reservoir for the first 18 days (depending on your exterior humidity) as the humidity stays really high in this small unit. Temperature/humidity seems to stay stable, I saw little to no fluctuation in mine. I am pleased with the unit.

Oh, FYI, it did not cost $100+ dollars... I think I paid $65 for mine (the US version).

WOW what GREAT HATCH!!
I dont think i would move them either yet if they are damp.too big of a chance to chill.I move mine wheN their back feathers look just a tiny damp but the rest is dry and fluffy.They do trip and climb on the eggs and mess with them but i would still wait. It does make you cringe though when some are still trying to come out and the others are rolling them around.

WOW what GREAT HATCH!!
I dont think i would move them either yet if they are damp.too big of a chance to chill.I move mine wheN their back feathers look just a tiny damp but the rest is dry and fluffy.They do trip and climb on the eggs and mess with them but i would still wait. It does make you cringe though when some are still trying to come out and the others are rolling them around.

I am now up to 8 chickie babies. It is completely stressful. When the latest one was popping out another fell on it's head! Humidity is reading 70% and with this cooler weather I feel like they will never dry out!

Hi i have moved some of my dryed babys out before without any problems at all but i did wait till they were all dryed up
great hatch

I am now up to 8 chickie babies. It is completely stressful. When the latest one was popping out another fell on it's head! Humidity is reading 70% and with this cooler weather I feel like they will never dry out!
Sub Urban how many did you have ?...is it a final head count yet or still going?

Back
Top Bottom