Help I don’t know what is wrong with my quail.

It sounds like a vitamin e deficiency. I recently was recommended to give my hen vitamin e because she has trouble balancing. I did some research on this before giving the supplement, and I remember seeing chicks that do somersaults is also a symptom. I’ve been squeezing a vitamin e liquid capsule out into her mouth 2x per day. It could be injury, or it could be just a chick who is a bit delayed in some aspects like digestion and metabolizing.

Classic 'wry neck'! Vitamin E, and selenium has been reported to help clear up this condition but I have never had a chick (gamebirds, quail or pheasant) recover from 'wry neck'. *It has been reported to have good results in chickens.* I have tried all the remedies, commonly found on the net, including Poly vi sol, to no avail. As with everything, what works or doesn't work for me, may work for you! or may not! It's worth a try, though!

ETA - some of the birds I had with wry neck, lived a somewhat normal life, some had severe wry neck and lived for 9 years. A few I also treated with Turmeric - Curcumin, I found someone that had treated their bird with it and the bird recovered....mine did not, unfortunately. :( If I have chicks hatch with wry neck now days, I cull.
Best of luck with your chick!

Last edited:
Classic 'wry neck'! Vitamin E, and selenium has been reported to help clear up this condition but I have never had a chick (gamebirds, quail or pheasant) recover from 'wry neck'. *It has been reported to have good results in chickens.* I have tried all the remedies, commonly found on the net, including Poly vi sol, to no avail. As with everything, what works or doesn't work for me, may work for you! or may not! It's worth a try, though!

ETA - some of the birds I had with wry neck, lived a somewhat normal life, some had severe wry neck and lived for 9 years. A few I also treated with Turmeric - Curcumin, I found someone that had treated their bird with it and the bird recovered....mine did not, unfortunately. :( If I have chicks hatch with wry neck now days, I cull.
Best of luck with your chick!

My stumbling hen is up and walking now, I have changed more than one thing tho. When I started giving vitamin e she seemed a bit better, but was still laying down a lot. I changed the food to her previous feed from before she became ill, and she has dramatically improved since. But I can’t say if the e took a few days to ramp up, or if the feed was the issue, all of my other birds are fine on the cheaper feed.

I had seen some claims that thiamine deficiency can cause wry neck as well, but I can’t find it to link, just something I read in passing. Looking at the feed labels, they don’t give amounts, but one has a thiamine supplement much higher on the list than the other, and it’s 2 different types. The more expensive feed has it much higher on the list which often indicates higher amounts. the pricey feed is also soy and corn free, and the cheap one is visibly full of corn pieces, and I know there are a lot of people who feel corn/soy free is the way to go.

To the OP:
The expensive stuff is called H&H feed game bird crumble, and it’s only available from the manufacturer, amazon stopped carrying it. It might be worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom