HELP! I dont know what to do..Is she dying?

truckerswife

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
SW Washington
I have a 2 yr old Aracauna. She looked fine this morning but I found her outside the run (she escapes sometimes) on the ground heavy breathing, legs buckled and wing extended. I held her for a while because she had a death rattle sound. I thought she flew into the fencing trying to get back in to lay an egg and got injured. Anyway, I made her comfortable and expected to her pass away. Now, she standing, somewhat walking , still laboring to breath and wheezing/cough/sneeze and there was lots of watery dark and beige colored poop on floor along with an egg that looks like it just rolled out of her. The egg is clean. Now, she has creamy, thick , very messy liquid all over her vent area and tummy .

What is wrong with Hot Wing and what can I do?

Is it hot where you are!? I would say bring her insode...put her ina dog kennel or large box...keep her quiet, and in a darker area. Make sure she drinks..and maybe put some electrolytes in her water. You could wah her bum off....to see if it happens again. Sounds like she may have gotten stressed a little, not being able to get back in to lay her egg.

Thanks for replying Justusnak.

She was HYSTERICAL earlier trying to get back in to lay her egg. I put her in a nesting box and went inside . About an hour later I found her outside the yard in her condition.

It is very hot today....well for WA anyway. We will have 15-20 degrees difference from yesterday (high 91 expected) . I put her in a cage , with bedding, water and she is in the shade. We have been going out wetting the grass around her cage to help cool.

SHOULD I FEED HER? I was thinking strawberry yogurt?

She is still panting, and every once in a while has a large "sneeze". I checked her throat I didnt see any grass stuck anything.

Perhaps you are right and she just had a huge panic attack on a hot day because she could not get back to lay her egg. She just figured out how to escape a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the advice.

with much appreciation, Rebecca

She needs to be in a quiet stress free area. An area not too hot. 91 may be too hot for her in her stressed condition. Can she come inside and be placed in a quiet cool room (70s is fine) in a large cage with food, water and comfortable "bedding"? If she has a really good feathered friend you could try having them both together.If she is to stay outside, do you have fans running so the birds can access a breeze if they need one? Can make all the difference. They just need to be free to decide whether they need it or not.
I would put a small amount of pedialtye in her water if you don't have poultry electrolytes. I say small because she may not have an electrolyte problem and you don't want to overdo it. A little should be fine.....
You might offer her small amounts of cool fruits.
Yogurt is good - generally people rescommend plain. Strawberry probably won't hurt her if you give her a little.
Was that egg she passed normal looking?
The sneezing thing is worrisome - that creamy thick liquid as well. Please report back if you see any more of either. Do you know if her eating and drinking has been normal till now?
Have the birds been wormed?
I hope she'll be alright.
JJ

Thank you everyone for your help. I checked back several times for more answers.

Sadly, Hot Wing died less than an hour ago. I took an eye dropper out to hand feed her water and she was gone. I spent a lot of time with her today as she got weaker wanting to be with her if she passed. A few times I thought for sure she was seconds from dying then she would shake and stand up and look 1/2 way alert and the gradually sit down, lay down, etc. She had labored breathing since this morning . I left her for about 45 minutes and came back and she was on her back and feet curled. She was still warm. I feel bad for not being there comforting her at the moment as I had been with her so much today.

I checked her for visible wounds again, none and the messy cream colored stuff leaking out of her was the same as early and had dried some. The egg she had laid was dry and clean which surprised me by the mess on the ground on her feathers.

So, I don't know why Hot Wing was perfectly fine this morning , then this. :-(

She was a good hen and laid the prettiest light blue eggs. I will her and her mischievousness.

Thanks again everyone. I knew I could get help here. Rebecca

I'm sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom