Help!! I don't know what's wrong with my quail Bella

MyLovleyLatte

Hatching
Aug 12, 2023
Hi, so basically my quail named Bella was discovered in my coop with a really swollen and bruised leg/thigh. I think its a broken bone because she is really unstable (not able to stand) and can't really walk around. She is inside now and she is eating and drinking well. I don't know what to do and any advice would be great. Thanks!

(Ik that in the picture its not that visible but I'd say the size is like half a pingpong ball and is unusually dark and swollen)

Attachments

• IMG_20230812_150709165.jpg
    IMG_20230812_150709165.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 30
Can you also upload a video to YouTube or something of how she's moving and link it here?

If her leg is broken, you may want to consider a vet. It will probably heal regardless, but a vet will be able to make sure it heals straight so she can walk normally again.

Right now I am at dinner but regarding a vet, there are no vets that will take in a quail (I have tried before regarding a few other issues). Is there a specific way to tell if its broken, a fracture, or something else?

I would first check to see if you can tell if the leg is in a normal position. Does it look like the joints all face the right way? Do the foot and toes point in the right direction? If everything is pointing the right way, it has a better chance of recovery.

If anything is pointing the wrong way, does it appear to be at a joint or at a point between? If it's at a point between, the bone is definitely broken. If it's at a joint, that could be dislocated, broken, or soft tissue tears. If it's a break, you can try to straighten it and splint it, but be aware that you will be causing your bird pain and if you don't know what you're doing you could cause more harm.

Keep in mind that I'm not a vet. Personally, I would isolate the bird for a day or two to see how it does and seriously observe how it's eating, drinking, and pooping. If it doesn't show improvement, I would probably cull because I raise mine for eggs and meat and I wouldn't want the bird to suffer due to lack of treatment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom