My chicken has a floppy comb and is mouth breathing at times. Should I be concerned?

FatherHen

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2023
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Plymouth White Rock Chicken, about 5-6 months old, she's pretty heavy and is growing quick.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She's just been breathing out of her mouth. Not all the time but sometimes. She also sometimes sneezes. She's just as active as usual.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I'm not actually sure. I just took notice of it a couple of days ago. Her comb is still growing at a rapid pace, so I'm wondering if her comb is just bigger than what it needs to be? Because it's sort of doing that folding thing. I'll attach a picture.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
My other bird, Kimberly, is sneezing at times and breathing out of her mouth at times too. She has a walnut comb (I think), so I can't tell if it would be wobbly or not.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No sign of any of that.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I don't really know. I use aspen bedding for them but was afraid it was a respiratory problem or something, so I took some precautions and replaced it with some paper.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She's been eating cooked eggs, egg shell, stuff outside, layer pellets, and red pepper flakes.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop looks fine, to be honest. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
No treatments since I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. I just replaced their bedding as a safety precaution.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
If there's something serious going on, I'd have to go to a vet. If it's something I can fix at home, then I'd rather do that.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I will attach it

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I keep them in a cage when it's time to sleep. I put them inside, though, because I don't have a chicken coop yet. The bottom is layered with aspen bedding that I replace every morning and night.

If there's any way I can take better care of my chickens please tell me! I am open to suggestions and only want the best for my two chickens :(

Attachments

• 20230923_190838.jpg
    20230923_190838.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230923_190832.jpg
    20230923_190832.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 4
Plymouth White Rock Chicken, about 5-6 months old, she's pretty heavy and is growing quick.
Can you take some photos of her standing up on her own so we can see her profile?
Where did she come from?
She's just been breathing out of her mouth. Not all the time but sometimes. She also sometimes sneezes. She's just as active as usual.
Can you get a video of her breathing? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Do you notice any mucous from the nostrils, bubbles in the eyes?
I'm wondering if her comb is just bigger than what it needs to be? Because it's sort of doing that folding thing.
I don't see anything wrong with her comb, it's just the way it's growing, it may flop over a little more as she matures.
My other bird, Kimberly, is sneezing at times and breathing out of her mouth at times too.

She's been eating cooked eggs, egg shell, stuff outside, layer pellets, and red pepper flakes.
Do they go outside at all? Do they have an outside run?

What is stuff outside? Do you mean grass/plants?

I'd make sure they are eating the layer pellets. Provide oyster shell and Grit (crushed granite) free choice.
A treat of eggs is fine, so is the egg shell. Red pepper flakes won't hurt them, but not sure what the benefit would be.

I keep them in a cage when it's time to sleep. I put them inside, though, because I don't have a chicken coop yet. The bottom is layered with aspen bedding that I replace every morning and night.
Are either of them laying eggs at all?

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. It may be the angle of the photo, but it looks like it's quite full and droopy. If the crop is not emptying, let us know.

What's the poop like - photos?

Hopefully with more info/photos/video we can offer more suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom