1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP !!!! I have 1 Guinea that will not stop Screaming

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by SuperBrenna, Sep 25, 2013.

1. SuperBrenna

SuperBrenna New Egg

Sep 25, 2013
    I have 5 Guineas I bought earlier this summer right after they have hatched. I believe there are 4 Males and 1 Female

for the last 3 days the female will not stop squawking. It's VERY loud and I have no idea why she is doing this. She will NOT STOP !!!

The other Guineas are now trying to chase her away, . This is so loud and on going I can't believe the police haven't been to my house yet.. Everything is the same at our house nothing has changed

Does anyone have any ideas Why and or What I can do to shut her up Besides de heading her?

Thanks in advance
    Brenna

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA

If it's the 2 syllable buck-wheat call that she is squawking/screaming then my educated guess would be that she's now fully matured and just doing what Guineas Hens do... buck-wheating, non-stop. Good luck with shutting her up
    [​IMG] The males are most likely chasing her because they too are maturing, and now "feeling their oats". If she is repeatedly screaming the chi-chi-chi call instead, then something is most likely annoying her.... she either sees or senses something that she perceives as a threat or danger to the flock. Most Guineas do go thru a noisy period when they are young and adjusting to the sights and sounds of your property, (and it usually gets worse before it gets better, lol) but most Guineas will quiet down/settle down after they turn about a year old. Guinea Fowl are not exactly known for being a quiet breed tho, lol.

Just to warn you, you may soon have 5 squawkers/screamers... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  3. freespiritmom

freespiritmom Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    Kansas
    I am going through the same thong right now with my four. My kids are begging me to let them "go and be free". This weekend they will be relocating to their new digs and hopefully they will chill a little.

They are loud little buggers aren't they!!!![​IMG]

4. JanO

JanO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    Western Washington
    I have the same problem right now, with 36 guineas. The noise is definitely irritating. I'm taking some of them to the auction today so maybe that will tone things down a bit, but not counting on them quieting down completely.

5. Chicanery

Chicanery New Egg

Mar 23, 2014
    Same thing here ! Thanks so much for the information.New with chickens and guineas.Live in the woods, thought my girls were getting stressed out about the woodland critters roaming around.
    Only have one that is REALLY noisy...then the others chime in.(only have 5)Still love to hear them! Checked with my neighbor, said they can't hear them when inside their home.(I'm thankful for that) Thanks again for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by