Help! I have a hen with big welts on her head mucus bubbling from eye

I understand I should have isolated. I have rolled the dice 2 times now bringing in birds from other peoples flocks and prayed my girls would not get something nasty. I have to find a way to isolate, I have only one coop. It is hard to house 10 full grown hens for 3 weeks before I bring them into my flock.

I am going to work on this.

For the time being, regarding this hen, how do I treat the infection? Can I smear neosporin into the cavity, or is the fact that it is inside her mouth a problem?
I can go to the feed store in the morning and see if I can get some injectable tylan 50.

Oops, I would put her on some antibiotics. Read the label of the ointment and see what it says regarding the mouth. It seems like you would have to figure out a way to keep food and such OUT of the wound. Seems odd that a seed would cause such damage. You know how they swipe their beaks back and forth on the ground or wherever they want really. I wonder if she got that cheek caught on something like a nail and it did that damage, then the seed got stuck in there.

I just want to wish you good luck, I am going to subscribe to this so I can watch and see what happens.

I hope the seed or whatever it was (not sure) was the issue. It was in there pretty good. I had to tug a little to get it out. It was not just loose in there. It was stuck up in there about 3/8"'

Last edited:
ok, I went to my local feed store and talked to them a little. The only injectable antibiotic they had is liquamycin la-200 (oxytetracycline). He said as long as I do not remove the sealed cap I could bring it back if I just cannot use it. Does this sound like a suitable antibiotic for my sick hen? Any suggested dose?

I am not sure about whether that would be OK/best for a wound, but I have seen Penicillin recommended for post-crop surgery and wound care. I'm surprised they didn't have THAT in an injectible form - that's like a grocery store being out of milk...
hu.gif

Hopefully someone else who knows more will help on this, too. Good luck!

ok, I went to tsc and got some penncilin. can anyone tell me how much to inject her with after I clean out the wound and irrigate with saline?

Back
Top Bottom