Help! I have a poor chicken that is being bullied!

Ibchduckin

Chirping
Jun 14, 2016
I have a bannie chicken that is being bullied by everyone, she stays in the coop to stay away from everyone and only comes out to eat and drink but they will barely allow her to do that. How can I break this behavior or can I. She is my favorite one of the 12 and is just a sweet heart, although she used to be a very dominating chicken until she got sick and I had to bring her in to the house for a few nights. Now no one likes her anymore. Is there anything that I can do? She is one of three bantam chickens, the rest are very large full size girls.

I have a bannie chicken that is being bullied by everyone, she stays in the coop to stay away from everyone and only comes out to eat and drink but they will barely allow her to do that. How can I break this behavior or can I. She is my favorite one of the 12 and is just a sweet heart, although she used to be a very dominating chicken until she got sick and I had to bring her in to the house for a few nights. Now no one likes her anymore. Is there anything that I can do? She is one of three bantam chickens, the rest are very large full size girls.
How many chickens are bullying her or is it the whole flock? Because if it's like 1 or 2 you could separate those ones from the flock for a few days.

The reason they are bullying her is because you separated her from the flock and now they don't recognize her. This will start to promote cannibalism and the habit will increase until blood is drawn. Once a chicken has been beat up and picked on, the rest of the flock will take advantage of it. Have you ever considered separating a bully from the flock and reintroducing her? This will turn the attention to the bully, (new member) and will eventually leave the original one alone. Keep the bantam together with the others when the bully is in process of being separated. There is also a method called the "see but no touch" which is keeping a victim behind a fence or cage but the others can see her. I have never had success with it but members say it's helpful.

I seldom to never separate my birds, it causes more problems than it cures. What you have done in chicken thinking is introduce a single stranger, even just after a few days. They have already reset their pecking order, and do not want to be below the stranger.

You could pull another bird, and let them duke it out, one on one. Then once they are a pair, add a couple more, then add a group back to the flock.

A single bird to an established flock is the worst.

Mrs K

Well I knew it was a risk,but I had to protect the rest of the flock until I knew what was wrong with her, also this was way back in July, Early July when she was separated and this bulling is a recent development. She started going broody so I had been fighting her with that, then I noticed that when she would come out of the coop for food, two or three would chase her around and now I think they all take turns. This is going on the 4 week of this behavior...The rooster just stays out of if! lol

How many chickens are bullying her or is it the whole flock? Because if it's like 1 or 2 you could separate those ones from the flock for a few days.
I was thinking the same thing, I am going to watch tomorrow and see which one starts it and take her out over night, they are much bigger chickens then my poor Rita B. So If they pick on the bully it will not be as bad. I may need to rotate girls until they can establish a new pecking order. Thanks for your input, very helpful.

I seldom to never separate my birds, it causes more problems than it cures. What you have done in chicken thinking is introduce a single stranger, even just after a few days. They have already reset their pecking order, and do not want to be below the stranger.

You could pull another bird, and let them duke it out, one on one. Then once they are a pair, add a couple more, then add a group back to the flock.

A single bird to an established flock is the worst.

Mrs K
Great idea, Thanks I will try that!

I was thinking the same thing, I am going to watch tomorrow and see which one starts it and take her out over night, they are much bigger chickens then my poor Rita B. So If they pick on the bully it will not be as bad. I may need to rotate girls until they can establish a new pecking order. Thanks for your input, very helpful.
Good idea. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom