help!! i have a problem with DE!!

I'm not sure why one thinks a product needs to be "food grade"

The difference is "Food Grade" is NOT heat treated (calcined) and is MUCH safer than "filter grade"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

The type of hazard posed by inhalation depends on the form of the silica.

Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis.

Amorphous silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk as crystalline silica.

Natural or dried diatomite generally contains very low percentages of crystalline silica.

Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcining) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form.

The crystalline silica content of the dust's particulate is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers.[19]

I wouldn't bet my life on a picture on the bag when it doesn't SAY it's Food Grade​

Last edited:
Quote:
Black Lung is caused by coal dust. Silicosis is caused by silica dust. Very similar symptoms.
From Wiki for everybodys info:
"Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Amorphous silica can cause dusty lungs, but does not carry the same degree of risk as crystalline silica. Natural or dried diatomite generally contains very low percentages of crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcining) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form."
I would think eating pool DE is not deadly or poisonious. But there is an inhalation risk that is not present in the food grade type. However, lungs are very resilient and any issuse with silicosis might not be an issue with a bird that only lives a short time. Remember those people with black lung and silicosis lived years after a life time of exposure. But then they died a terriblely slow painful death.

I guess my question to the seller on ebay would be: why are her bags of DE selling for $18 dollars a bag and the labled "Food Grade" DE on that page is going for $54.99 or thereabouts (not all that high, but all more than $18.00). If I am looking for something specific and I shop by price alone, sometimes I get something I didn't want.

Back
Top Bottom