Help I have Free Loading Chickens

CAMOCLUCKS

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
St. Elmo, Illinois
We live in Central Illinois and of course it has gotten cold and the days are shorter, but we have 30 hens and we are only getting one egg yes i said one egg for the last 3-4 weeks. They use to be free range but we have a coyote and hawk problem so we built them a pen 3 1/2 months ago so originally we thought it was from them just plain mad about the change in routine, then it got shorter days so we added light to make the day longer. And they are still free loaders not worthy of the feed that they are eating. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated from all.

You could put a light on them, that should help with egg production. Hens need 14 hours of daylight to lay an egg

OK: I was reading on another thread (can't find it at the moment) that chickens in their second winter can stop laying completely for a couple of months. Eiyee!! Are these chickens in their second winter (or beyond??) Perhaps that is the problem. In their first winter they have basically just started laying and so presumably have more energy stored up??? Any expert opinions on this???

same here... the moment I said... this will be the last carton of eggs I will ever need to buy... they all went on strike.

I'm at 2 months without an egg too. I only have three chickens - one austrolorp, one brown leghorn, and one golden campine. Two of them molted starting two months ago, but they've gotten their feathers back fully. I put a couple of store bought eggs in their nest box yesterday to hopefully remind them of why I have them. I'm going to run a light out to the coop this weekend if I don't get anything by then.

I have all kinds of breeds. About 20 hens all together. I went from averaging a dozen a day to 1 - almost overnight. I know I need to get my light and timer set back up but I've been busy and I don't mind giving their body a break. For some reason, they are picking up the pace again.

I have a couple that are molting. (at 9 months old) I don't consider mine freeloaders though. Their bodies need the break, and I'm fine with it. I'm getting some eggs, just not a lot.

Now my freeloaders............. those would be my 7 week old welsummer and BR chicks.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom