Help!!! I have Larve on my hen!

Cindymac

Chirping
Jun 13, 2021
Found one of my girls sulking in a corner she looked a little off yesterday I didn't pay it too awful much attention today I looked at her she had some kind of larva I'm assuming bott fly larva in a couple different places. Both around her vent and up under a wing. How do I get rid of them? I gave her a warm water bath with some antibacterial soap cleaned out the larva and wounds to the best of my ability where it it weaseled its way in to lay its eggs. Sprayed her down with Banixx. Right now i have her in my chicken booder With the heat on, wrapped in a towel want to know what else I can do to make sure I can kill whatever may be still remaining on her.

Attachments

• 20221003_171746.jpg
    20221003_171746.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Permethrin - usually sold as a dust or a concentrate. Spray all of your chickens. Spray the coop (after you clean it out). It may be poultry live and so you need to treat it all. If only fly larvae, then spray just her. Spray again in 7-10 days. No egg withdrawal with permethrin.

Permethrin - usually sold as a dust or a concentrate. Spray all of your chickens. Spray the coop (after you clean it out). It may be poultry live and so you need to treat it all. If only fly larvae, then spray just her. Spray again in 7-10 days. No egg withdrawal with permethrin.
How much if It's a concentrate do I use on the coon the cube and on the girls?? I would almost imagine I would want to spray the co-op down fairly heavily

The concentrate will have instructions. A small garden sprayer works well.
It is clearish looking with black and red in it. I tried flushing them out twice. Went on to check on her and it'd like I did nothing. We did the humane thi g and culled her. She was very weak and the damage done to her I believe was too great to come back from. I'm just curious as to what type of larva it is and should I treat the other girls as a precaution? I found the powder form of permethrin.

Attachments

• 20221003_210158.jpg
    20221003_210158.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 2
I would check the vents of all of your other birds and make sure they don't have any poop back there, since that's one attractant for flies. An unwell hen that's not moving around so much, nor preening is more at risk for flystrike.
Edited to add: If any of your birds need to have a good butt washing, doing this sooner rather than later can help. Addressing anything causing runny poops, if possible, would be my next step. Of course if you live somewhere that's having warmer weather and your birds are experiencing runny poops from drinking a lot to keep cool, I would just keep a check on those bottoms daily. I'll tag someone more knowledgeable to share their thoughts.
@Eggcessive @azygous @Wyorp Rock

Last edited:
Have you considered flystrike as a possibility? I'm so sorry about your hen
What is fly strike? I have 2 girls with very red bottoms that have no feathers down there.
Honestly, I've nor ever experienced this in the 20 years I've had girls. I've been lucky to have healthy flocks. Lost one to a fox too today. Not a good day here.😭💔

What is fly strike? I have 2 girls with very red bottoms that have no feathers down there.
Honestly, I've nor ever experienced this in the 20 years I've had girls. I've been lucky to have healthy flocks. Lost one to a fox too today. Not a good day here.😭💔
Oh no! I'm so sorry. I'm sending you some virtual hugs :hugs I hate that for you.

Flystrike comes from flies landing on a bird, usually attracted to a wound or poopy butts, and lays eggs. In warmer climates the eggs can hatch within 24 hours. Once the larvae hatch, they begin to eat at the bird and can even create holes in the birds skin, possibly even crossing into the abdomen. These wounds attract more flies, which lay more eggs. It's really horrible. Treatment involves washing the wound and removing every single maggot. This has to be done on a regular basis (am & pm) until you don't find anymore. Then treating the wound left behind. Severity varies in each case. Oftentimes culling is the best thing for the bird. I hope this is the last time you see this on any of your birds, whether it's flystrike or not.

Back
Top Bottom