Help- I just found out I was sold horse feed rather than chicken feed- they've been on it for months

Thank you all for your help! I've been supplying my ladies with extra protein in the form of fish/meat scraps, yoghurt and the odd bit of tuna, and having removed the long grass I can let them forage again, albeit under supervision. I'll keep an eye on their weight going forward but I think we're okay until I buy the next gigantic bag... and when I do I'll make sure it's for chickens!

Also, if oyster shell isn't available or within your budget, you can finely crush (almost powder) eggshells and feed to them. I have a tray that sits in my microwave when not in use, that I put all my cracked eggshells into for the girls. I don't wash out the bit of egg white that remains, just let it dry on the shells. When I have a bunch that are all dry, I pop them in the blender and pulverize them. I put out a little bowl of them for free-choice to the hens.

I think you will find finely ground eggshells do not stay in the digestive track as long as the course oyster shells. Much of the eggshell benefit passes without being absorbed.

Beneficial, but not nearly as oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom