Help -I keep getting a soft-shelled egg- broken in the nest!

chick4chix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2009
So Cal
It's from one of the two remaining EE's (age 28 wks) who have just begun to lay and I have not identified their egg. Three weeks ago, I found the first one- all smashed into the hay next to a good egg (it had a pinkish/peach flakey shell) . Then a whole week went by and I found another one but this time it was under the roost- not the nest ,and it was pretty dried out so I figured it could have been the first one (before the nest one). Then another week and we got an almost intact pink/peach egg but it had a peck mark/crack but was otherwise whole but the shell was not strong still semi- soft and flakey- you could crush it easily. So I fed oyster shell to everyone and now this morning (a whole week later) I had another totally smashed pink/peach egg on top of the nest and the nest eggs. All the other layers have nice strong shells. What can I do to help her out and why is she going 7-8 days between laying these soft eggs? thanks in advance
hmm.png

Last edited:
If she just started laying, it might take a while for her to get everything right. Sometimes new layers are not so perfect.

Imp

Quote:
Thanks- but this is the third week and she is going between 7-9 days between them- is this normal? Shouldn't she be straightened out by now? There were only two left that had not begun laying and the other one laid today so I know who is doing it now. She is the bottom of the pecking order- would that make a difference? For the most part I have a very peaceful flock- they occassionally posture at each other then go about their business-no big fights.
smile.png

Yeah, I don't think that's normal

Could they be hiding them? or a predator eating them?

It could be the time of the year. It's getting darker or molting.

My only other thought is that my EE has always been a very erratic layer. Sometimes no eggs for weeks. Hopefully yours aren't like that.

Gosh, Got me

Imp

Back
Top Bottom