Help! I messed up pulley introductions

GranolaGirl

Chirping
13 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Creedmoor
I recently purchased four pullets from a local breeder. After a few nights in the starter coop, a snake killed three of them. šŸ˜¢ Because I was concerned about the remaining bird being alone, I just got three new pullets today. Unfortunately, the three new ones are picking on the original ā€œlonerā€. Will this work itself on its own or did I really screw up?

How old are they and how much space do they have to get out of each others faces and even hide to get some rest?
The ā€œlonerā€ pullet is 8 weeks. The new ones are 10. The run is 4X12. They have a good amount of space so they should be able to stay apart

Remember to keep an eye on what's going on since you kept them together. Get familiar with how chickens interact to establish a pecking order. It should only be a few pecks to get the message. But if they go beyond that, that would be bullying which in turns causes the victim to be physically damaged and psychologically traumatized.

Usually when introducing newbies to a flock, it's recommended "See but no touch"; keeping separate where they can see each other but not get at each other for a few days maybe a week. Since your loner is younger, the newbies are the flock ... You could either section off a part of the coop so the loner has a sanctuary or put it in a large wire dog cage with food/water, it in the coop ... Or as suggested make enough hiding spots that the loner can get away/hide. Also add more feeders/waters so the loner can ear/drink, not getting chased from the food.

Usually when introducing newbies to a flock, it's recommended "See but no touch"; keeping separate where they can see each other but not get at each other for a few days maybe a week. Since your loner is younger, the newbies are the flock ... You could either section off a part of the coop so the loner has a sanctuary or put it in a large wire dog cage with food/water, it in the coop ... Or as suggested make enough hiding spots that the loner can get away/hide. Also add more feeders/waters so the loner can ear/drink, not getting chased from the food.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom