HELP I need a quick lesson on feather sexing one day olds chicks ASAP

lovemychicks9

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
South Carolina
I was at the feed store today getting more chick starter and I saw this sign on the door as I was going out and GUESS what it said!!!!!! They are getting baby chicks tomorrow and I am SOOOOOO excited I can not stand it. They are getting them from a local here and not a hatchery so I am sure that they will not be sexed, PLEASE can any one give me accurate information on feather sexing a one day old chick? I prefer to at least try not to get roo's . I would really really appreciate all your help. Cannot wait to see those fuzzy butts!!!

umm i was a first timer and not many on BYC reccomend it but how i sexed my chicks were which one had longer wings but mine were a week old so its going to be hard. umm also if you hold them upside down nd the one that stands still is a pullet and the one who pecks at his feet or your hand is a roo. if you go back in thesse forums we had a HUGE discussion on this so try and search for it!sorry couldn't help more!

Quote:
Thats how our feed store does it.
This does not work on all breeds but mmc holds one wing out and if it has a short feather its a roo.

Back
Top Bottom