Help. I need an emotional support team.

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
Omg. Yesterday was stressful. Today is worse and it's only 8:30 a.m.
I have four 22 week old cockrels. They are beautiful and friendly. I've been meaning to get rid of them but I've procrastinated because they ARE beautiful and friendly. Friendly to people that is.
Yesterday one of them (the most beautiful and friendliest) killed my 28 week old cockrel. It was so sudden! He also chased my old hen.
I read and watched videos half the night and decided how to cull him in the most humane way. This morning before daylight I took him off the roost and did this:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/
I swear I felt the neck stretch. I layed him gently down when I finished. He got up, shook his head, and ran away!!! 🥺
FAIL!
I am going to try again.

So sorry. :hugs Why not sell him to someone that will eat him?
I put an ad (for free roosters) on Craig's list but no takers so far. It's a shame. He is such a sweetie.None of these boys are human aggressive. I was hoping if I kept them away from the hens they'd get along but I guess not. 😞

GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION ALERT!

@janiedoe, I shot the two cockerels I had to cull with a .22. Here's what I did, in case this is any information you can use.

I got my revolver and muffs and set up a spot out of sight of the other chickens. The ground there is sandy.

I caught the bird in a fishing net, the kind that have really large holes, so you can see what you're doing. I took him to the spot, put on my muffs, and put his head down to the ground. He was tangled in the net, so I was able to control him. Muzzle of the gun to the back of his head for solid contact. Pulled the trigger. The bullet went into the sand, a safe backstop, which is why I picked that spot. Yes, there were death throes, and it was difficult to see.

Then I cried, hard.

I am so sorry you have to do this. :hugs

He's standing at the back door begging for food right now. 😪 I'm going to crate him until I work up my nerve to try again. My husband said shoot him but I'm afraid I'll miss.
I've only culled once before and it was a mercy killing. I cut the throat. It was awful. I won't do it that way again.
20210113_171121.jpg

Omg. Yesterday was stressful. Today is worse and it's only 8:30 a.m.
I have four 22 week old cockrels. They are beautiful and friendly. I've been meaning to get rid of them but I've procrastinated because they ARE beautiful and friendly. Friendly to people that is.
Yesterday one of them (the most beautiful and friendliest) killed my 28 week old cockrel. It was so sudden! He also chased my old hen.
I read and watched videos half the night and decided how to cull him in the most humane way. This morning before daylight I took him off the roost and did this:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/
I swear I felt the neck stretch. I layed him gently down when I finished. He got up, shook his head, and ran away!!! 🥺
FAIL!
I am going to try again.

Sorry that you had to go through that, it must have been hard enough to work up the nerve and worse when it didn't work out.

Hope things work out, one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom