Help. I need an emotional support team.

I just updated my craigslist posts. Hopefully someone else will do the deed before I work myself up to it again.
I have to stop naming the boys.

GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION ALERT!

@janiedoe, I shot the two cockerels I had to cull with a .22. Here's what I did, in case this is any information you can use.

I got my revolver and muffs and set up a spot out of sight of the other chickens. The ground there is sandy.

I caught the bird in a fishing net, the kind that have really large holes, so you can see what you're doing. I took him to the spot, put on my muffs, and put his head down to the ground. He was tangled in the net, so I was able to control him. Muzzle of the gun to the back of his head for solid contact. Pulled the trigger. The bullet went into the sand, a safe backstop, which is why I picked that spot. Yes, there were death throes, and it was difficult to see.

Then I cried, hard.

I am so sorry you have to do this. :hugs

GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION ALERT!

@janiedoe, I shot the two cockerels I had to cull with a .22. Here's what I did, in case this is any information you can use.

I got my revolver and muffs and set up a spot out of sight of the other chickens. The ground there is sandy.

I caught the bird in a fishing net, the kind that have really large holes, so you can see what you're doing. I took him to the spot, put on my muffs, and put his head down to the ground. He was tangled in the net, so I was able to control him. Muzzle of the gun to the back of his head for solid contact. Pulled the trigger. The bullet went into the sand, a safe backstop, which is why I picked that spot. Yes, there were death throes, and it was difficult to see.

Then I cried, hard.

I am so sorry you have to do this. :hugs
Thank you. I will have to wait till tonight or early morning as he is out free ranging now. He followed me from the house to the mailbox today. He was almost hit by a truck. Stupid me, I was yelling for him to get off the hwy the whole time. Lol. He is like a puppy. A puppy that kills chickens unfortunately.

I just updated my craigslist posts. Hopefully someone else will do the deed before I work myself up to it again.
I have to stop naming the boys.
did you include that it's okay to eat him? I think the norm is more like "free to a good home" so people who eat roosters would assume you'd turn them down.

It's a shame that roosters make up 50% (or in my case 60%+) of a hatch. It's a shame that they aren't rare. It's also a shame that people don't keep them for pets, like they do dogs and cats. They really are fun to have around.

It's a shame that roosters make up 50% (or in my case 60%+) of a hatch. It's a shame that they aren't rare. It's also a shame that people don't keep them for pets, like they do dogs and cats. They really are fun to have around.
I actually had a really easy time selling my cockrells. I found a family who eats them and they bought 20 at one time. 😅

did you include that it's okay to eat him? I think the norm is more like "free to a good home" so people who eat roosters would assume you'd turn them down.
I actually put "for meat" in the ad and disclosed that he doesn't play well with others or with the hens. He might be fine in a flock as a lone rooster but my girls dont care much for him so I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom