Help I need help on OEG Hens!

Quote:
I agree that they are probablly fighting OEGs, but I think they are not mutts. They look like BB reds to me.
idunno.gif

also agree just didnt find any other way to have them fast to grab sinces it cost me and sorry what does bb red stand for? thanks for your help!

first of all, are you sure they're old english? the heads are much sharper than any old english i've seen, plus they aren't single combed. they look more like some sort of wild game, or mix breed
hu.gif
are they tame?

they look old enough to lay but they might stop/ slow down in the winter. i doubt they will be very good layers unfortunetly. whatever they are they look closer to wild games than any highly domesticated laying breed. also, they'll lay rarely, if ever, on a short tether like that. hens need to feel they are in a secure, enclosed place to lay comfortably. they could do quite well on the free range though
thumbsup.gif
: they'll have good wild instincts from the look of them.

edited: BB red stands for black breasted red. have you researched breeding and breeding methods thoroughly before you start? i know it's tempting to jump right in, but you should really know as much about your birds, thier breed, how to breed, and know what you'll do with the resulting chicks. you will have 50% cockerels that will likely fight if kept together. do you have a plan in place for them?

Last edited:
Quote:
i do have a coop but i tied them up cause i have a friend or whatever that has allot of game cocks and ima take them over there to him start breeding with a good game cock!

Ok thanks, I was worried about what might happen to them at night when the predators come out
hide.gif

Where are you , by the way?

believer it or not im actually in Veracruz, Mexico i was in north carolina for 13 years hopefully go back next year! I miss the snow!

Quote:
Ok thanks, I was worried about what might happen to them at night when the predators come out
hide.gif

Where are you , by the way?

believer it or not im actually in Veracruz, Mexico i was in north carolina for 13 years hopefully go back next year! I miss the snow!

Hey! A fellow North Carolinian!
smile.png
I'm from NC ' but live in Florida now, and I hate to say it....... I miss the snow too!

Quote:
im sorry but i didnt take good photos but i dont think there mutts!

Quote:

Hey! A fellow North Carolinian!
smile.png
I'm from NC ' but live in Florida now, and I hate to say it....... I miss the snow too!

well aint that the craziest thing but thanks for all your help and hey aint you worried about the weather over there?

They probably are OEG, with dubbed combs. I'd say the second one -- the one you said was slightly gray -- is a Black Breasted Red . Not sure what color you'd call the redder one.

Most hens will lay year round with breaks from molting and stress. I'm not familiar with Game breeds, so I don't know if they lay seasonally like turkeys. But they look like they're old enough to be laying.

Quote:
thanks will take better photos tommorow in the sun the weather right now is horrible!

Back
Top Bottom