help - i need the simplest coop idea possible

CUTE!!!!! I could use your painting energy around here!

I definitely second the "wired" suggestion for the holes. And if you need to leave the lid up for ventilation at night, I would find a way to have that be wired, too. And of course the door ... you want the birds safe and secure while they're sleeping as they are blind in the dark and defenseless little kittens while asleep.

OR ... the whole setup could be in a secure run. How small any openings can be, and how deep under ground you should secure and what kind of security you need from above ... all of that depends on the predators in your area.

I myself have spent a fortune on hardware cloth. Sigh.

CUTE!!!!! I could use your painting energy around here!

I definitely second the "wired" suggestion for the holes. And if you need to leave the lid up for ventilation at night, I would find a way to have that be wired, too. And of course the door ... you want the birds safe and secure while they're sleeping as they are blind in the dark and defenseless little kittens while asleep.

OR ... the whole setup could be in a secure run. How small any openings can be, and how deep under ground you should secure and what kind of security you need from above ... all of that depends on the predators in your area.

I myself have spent a fortune on hardware cloth. Sigh.

I agree, it's nice though! you certainly lucked out with that find!

Great find Newchickie2! Your coop looks good all painted up. Good job.

Chickens love elevated coops but they will use one low as well. If you can, elevate it a few feet off the ground. I know you don't have tools and such but you can get something to set it on possibly. Just a friendly tip though (I know you didn't ask for one but here it goes anyway).. Keep your coop a few feet away from the block fence as it radiates heats for several hours even after sundown. That heat is a killer. I would go out a midnight and still feel the heat radiating from my fence.

One of my AZ coops. Pic was taken before it was roofed.

Now I want to go to Vermont -- after it warms up a bit! -- because there are so many fragments of unfinished conversations dangling after their visit ... we're all really good talkers! ... and Bruce has some breeds of chickens I don't.

I would put it off until mid summer. Waiting on the estimate to replace the foundation. Plan is for it to happen late spring / early summer. Wouldn't want you to have to sleep out with the chickens! Of course, the work depends a lot on how much it is going to cost. The house hasn't fallen down just yet
wink.png

Working on this little thing was so fun this weekend! I can't wait to add more next weekend! The best part was that my little chicks were with me out in the yard hanging out the whole time I worked.

Out of curiosity what could get in a little hole like that?

Too cute!

I third the suggestion. Since you only have small areas to cover, you should be able to get something at a hardware store. Or scraps from a "local" BYCer.
DO NOT use an "Arrow" type staple gun to attach the wire, they rip right out.

Bruce

I third the suggestion. Since you only have small areas to cover, you should be able to get something at a hardware store. Or scraps from a "local" BYCer.
DO NOT use an "Arrow" type staple gun to attach the wire, they rip right out.

Because I'm not great with the little U-shaped nails a lot of people use for hardware cloth I use screws with a washer to secure it -- my house-strength battery operated drill works just fine for this. Hardware cloth is nasty pokey stuff, so it is also nice to put a trim piece over the edges of it to save your clothes and skin. I've seen pre-made wire mesh vent screens at Home Depot that might do the trick for those little holes.

I would put it off until mid summer. Waiting on the estimate to replace the foundation. Plan is for it to happen late spring / early summer. Wouldn't want you to have to sleep out with the chickens! Of course, the work depends a lot on how much it is going to cost. The house hasn't fallen down just yet
wink.png

LOL! I hear you! Someone needs to put new siding on my house and replace the windows damaged by the failed siding. Possibly time for a new roof as it has well exceeded its promised life. So as long as the roof and windows and sides are ripped off, wouldn't it be swell to have a room in this house from which you could actually see the expensive view? And better insulation to be more "green"? And a zoned heating system? And a mud room and garage with a direct entry to the main level? I've got plans drawn up for all that. But the house is already too big and it *is* still standing and we tend to do things on "what's the biggest emergency today?" basis around here. Time, money, priorities ... "home maintenance" is a bit of a distant dream.

Lately I've been prioritizing poultry housing ... which is great practice for home repairs. I know a lot more about plumbing after installing the automatic water system in the coops. We've been putting shelves up in the feed shed this week, which is awesome! Need to owl proof the duck run next ... make way for ducklings and all that.

OMGosh! That is adorable!

(Wish I'd have known about the chicken wire not being good for predators. Le sigh. Guess I'll be taking my wire down and putting up some cloth.

(Wish I'd have known about the chicken wire not being good for predators. Le sigh. Guess I'll be taking my wire down and putting up some cloth.

You can put the hardware cloth over the chicken wire. Unless you have somewhere else you want to use the chicken wire. The horse stall I converted had 2x4 welded wire on one side and the front, chicken wire on the other side. I just poultry stapled (*) the 1/2" hardware cloth over it. I figure it was less work and predator proofing overkill all at the same time
wink.png

(*) Yes Leslie, the poultry staples ARE a bit of a PITA, especially when nailing them overhead. But they are a lot cheaper than screws and washers (or flattened beer bottle caps) so I went that route.

Bruce

OMGosh! That is adorable!

I've learned the hard way, a raccoon easily tore/chewed a big gaping hole in the chicken wire on one of my early coops and killed the 5 half grown chicks inside.

Back
Top Bottom