Help!! I opened incubator without knowing one of the eggs zipped

Hyperx

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2021
I woke up this morning and saw the humidity dropped to 30 degrees during lockdown so I quickly added water. I checked the humidity it went back up to 70 degrees then i saw that egg cracked but it was facing down so I opened it again to roll it over, will the chick hatch?

Attachments

• DADF0946-1CA6-4716-9C4F-2D96D2B98779.jpeg
    DADF0946-1CA6-4716-9C4F-2D96D2B98779.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 99
They usually hatch within 24 hours of pipping. If you try to assist to soon the chick will probably not make it. You can pick some of the shell around the pip after 24 hours. If you see any blood stop. If you don't see any blood then you can proceed carefully picking a little of the shell off always watching for any blood which usually means the chick is not ready to hatch yet. The pictures show the chick hasn't started to zip yet.
IMG_20180625_115410.jpg

These are the tools I use to assist. I use warm water with a q-tip to moisten the membrane
IMG_3138.JPG

This is a pipped egg starting to zip.
IMG_2689.JPG

Here the chick is zipping. This is a Rhode Island White chick zipping.
IMG_2694.JPG

I woke up this morning and saw the humidity dropped to 30 degrees during lockdown so I quickly added water. I checked the humidity it went back up to 70 degrees then i saw that egg cracked but it was facing down so I opened it again to roll it over, will the chick hatch?
Opening the incubator to add water, and again to turn the egg over, will probably NOT cause any trouble.

So the chick should hatch just fine, unless it was already having trouble for some other reason.

I candled all the eggs they’re all shrink wrapped humidity was too low when i put the shelf liner i blocked the hole in the middle. The second chick i assisted also the yolk is still stuck will it be ok? It was so hot that it cooked the yolk inside the egg

I'm going to quote one of your own previous posts:
Alot of blood was coming out, ill let nature take it course to see what happens if no sign of life ill take it out.
I suggest you "let nature take its course" with the remaining eggs by NOT trying to help any more chicks in this hatch. Even if you think they have trouble, just leave them alone.

Yes, I know it is hard to watch and wait, but it really is best for the chicks to hatch at their own slow rate (which is just right for them.)

I mean this in the nicest way possible but you need to do your research. I provided a great article for you to read on assisting with hatches if it is needed (key word being if because they should very rarely need assistance)
I’ll point out some things for future reference if you need to assist
Open a tiny bit of shell over the air sac (candle to find where the air sac is) it’s less likely to bleed if you open over the air sac. Have coconut oil on hand to put a tiny bit over the membrane so it doesn’t dry out.
If you assist any further you do it very slowly, if it bleeds you stop the bleeding and put the chick back.
If the chick is yawning/chewing it is NOT ready to come out.
The chick has to absorb all the yolk. Don’t pull the chick out of the shell while it’s absorbing. If you do and the chick still has some yolk not absorbed you put him back in the bottom half of the shell and place him in a way so he can’t move around much so he can finish absorbing. Please read the article again. If you are going to assist it needs to be done properly. Just because you assist slightly doesn’t mean you have to do everything. Most of the time a chick will get itself out. I understand you were very nervous and were doing your best to try and help these chicks but you didn’t go the best way about it. Also I don’t believe you can tell that a chick is shrink wrapped when you candle them.

Oh ok, i saw that that’s why i mention it. I’m not sure how long the chick pipe or zipped but i did see it moved its beak when the egg was facing down then when i rolled it over i didn’t see any movement so I’m not sure if opening the incubator affected it.
Usually people believe opening the incubator causes issues because of the humidity drop but it was already very low when you opened it (to up the humidity) so either way opening it was the right thing to do. Has he made any more movements since?

he'll likely be perfectly fine!
Is he out yet? This was a recent thread so guessing not.
Can you see through the incubator without opening it? If so, can you see the colour/condition of the mebrane? The only worry here is shrink wrapping, and I find that quite unlikely, though possible since humidity was already low, you did the right thing by opening it to add more water. No need to rush into action yet,
Just keep a close eye on him. In the meantime, definitely have a read of the article that Jada22 linked. It's brilliant and so so helpful. It will tell you when and how to help.

Have you seen any more movement?

Back
Top Bottom