Help!! I opened incubator without knowing one of the eggs zipped

when lockdown can the eggs be place in any position?
Most positions are fine.

Laying on their sides is fine. The chick can turn in the egg, so it's not a big deal if it pips on the upper or lower side of the egg.

Some people prop eggs upright to hatch. When people do that, it is important to have the air cell up (not down at the bottom.)

If the membrane has dried out any you can moisten it with warm water. Some people use petroleum jelly or coconut oil or similar. From the picture you posted it appears that the chick has only pipped and has not started to zip yet and I don't see any of the membrane exposed so all should be good. if you try to assist before it has started to zip there is a good chance the chick is still absorbing the yolk. Again, good luck with your hatch...

Usually people believe opening the incubator causes issues because of the humidity drop but it was already very low when you opened it (to up the humidity) so either way opening it was the right thing to do. Has he made any more movements since?
I don’t see any movement

Most positions are fine.

Laying on their sides is fine. The chick can turn in the egg, so it's not a big deal if it pips on the upper or lower side of the egg.

Some people prop eggs upright to hatch. When people do that, it is important to have the air cell up (not down at the bottom.)
Oh ok thank you! So i made a bad judgment to roll it over

I hatch out a few hundred chicks every year and once in awhile I do have to assist. Since the chick has started to zip not just a pip, you should be able to assist it. The membrane may have dried out so you may have to help it as long as it has started zipping. Watch it carefully for its progress.
How long should i wait to assist?

They usually hatch within 24 hours of pipping. If you try to assist to soon the chick will probably not make it. You can pick some of the shell around the pip after 24 hours. If you see any blood stop. If you don't see any blood then you can proceed carefully picking a little of the shell off always watching for any blood which usually means the chick is not ready to hatch yet. The pictures show the chick hasn't started to zip yet.
IMG_20180625_115410.jpg

These are the tools I use to assist. I use warm water with a q-tip to moisten the membrane
IMG_3138.JPG

This is a pipped egg starting to zip.
IMG_2689.JPG

Here the chick is zipping. This is a Rhode Island White chick zipping.
IMG_2694.JPG

They usually hatch within 24 hours of pipping. If you try to assist to soon the chick will probably not make it. You can pick some of the shell around the pip after 24 hours. If you see any blood stop. If you don't see any blood then you can proceed carefully picking a little of the shell off always watching for any blood which usually means the chick is not ready to hatch yet. The pictures show the chick hasn't started to zip yet.
View attachment 3009718
These are the tools I use to assist. I use warm water with a q-tip to moisten the membrane
View attachment 3009727
This is a pipped egg starting to zip.View attachment 3009728
Here the chick is zipping. This is a Rhode Island White chick zipping.
View attachment 3009729
Do i have to wait 24 hours? I don’t see any movement at all

I woke up this morning and saw the humidity dropped to 30 degrees during lockdown so I quickly added water. I checked the humidity it went back up to 70 degrees then i saw that egg cracked but it was facing down so I opened it again to roll it over, will the chick hatch?
he'll likely be perfectly fine!
Is he out yet? This was a recent thread so guessing not.
Can you see through the incubator without opening it? If so, can you see the colour/condition of the mebrane? The only worry here is shrink wrapping, and I find that quite unlikely, though possible since humidity was already low, you did the right thing by opening it to add more water. No need to rush into action yet,
Just keep a close eye on him. In the meantime, definitely have a read of the article that Jada22 linked. It's brilliant and so so helpful. It will tell you when and how to help.

Have you seen any more movement?

Back
Top Bottom