Help!! I opened incubator without knowing one of the eggs zipped

Hyperx

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2021
I woke up this morning and saw the humidity dropped to 30 degrees during lockdown so I quickly added water. I checked the humidity it went back up to 70 degrees then i saw that egg cracked but it was facing down so I opened it again to roll it over, will the chick hatch?

Attachments

• DADF0946-1CA6-4716-9C4F-2D96D2B98779.jpeg
    DADF0946-1CA6-4716-9C4F-2D96D2B98779.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 99
Thank you!! I forgot to mention its malpositioned also, can it hatch on its own or will i have to assist?
I’m not experienced enough to help you here but if you scroll down on that link there is a section about malpositioning.
There’s also a link to a thread where people discuss assisting- it may be best to ask questions on this thread as there’s experienced people watching the thread. Best of luck.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hands-on-hatching-and-help.1081034/

I’m not experienced enough to help you here but if you scroll down on that link there is a section about malpositioning.
There’s also a link to a thread where people discuss assisting- it may be best to ask questions on this thread as there’s experienced people watching the thread. Best of luck.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hands-on-hatching-and-help.1081034/
Oh ok, i saw that that’s why i mention it. I’m not sure how long the chick pipe or zipped but i did see it moved its beak when the egg was facing down then when i rolled it over i didn’t see any movement so I’m not sure if opening the incubator affected it.

I woke up this morning and saw the humidity dropped to 30 degrees during lockdown so I quickly added water. I checked the humidity it went back up to 70 degrees then i saw that egg cracked but it was facing down so I opened it again to roll it over, will the chick hatch?
Opening the incubator to add water, and again to turn the egg over, will probably NOT cause any trouble.

So the chick should hatch just fine, unless it was already having trouble for some other reason.

Oh ok, i saw that that’s why i mention it. I’m not sure how long the chick pipe or zipped but i did see it moved its beak when the egg was facing down then when i rolled it over i didn’t see any movement so I’m not sure if opening the incubator affected it.
Usually people believe opening the incubator causes issues because of the humidity drop but it was already very low when you opened it (to up the humidity) so either way opening it was the right thing to do. Has he made any more movements since?

Opening the incubator to add water, and again to turn the egg over, will probably NOT cause any trouble.

So the chick should hatch just fine, unless it was already having trouble for some other reason.
Thank you!! Finger crossed hopefully it doesn’t. Also when lockdown can the eggs be place in any position?

I hatch out a few hundred chicks every year and once in awhile I do have to assist. Since the chick has started to zip not just a pip, you should be able to assist it. The membrane may have dried out so you may have to help it as long as it has started zipping. Watch it carefully for its progress.

Back
Top Bottom