Help! I ran out of Chick Feed...

Winyari

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Utah
My chicks are a week old and I just ran out of chick feed. There aren't any stores open tonight that sell it. I was reading online that I can feed them instant oatmeal as a quick fix. I don't have any but I do have a jar of mixed 12 grain hot cereal that my kids don't like the taste of. Kind of like this stuff: http://www.fiddlersgreenfarm.com/products/Fiddlers-Organic-12%2dgrain-Hot-Cereal-5-lbs..html It's pretty finely ground. Does anyone think that would be bad to feed the chicks for the night? Or would it be OK?

Thanks so much for any help!!!

If you feed them the oatmeal, they are going to need grit to digest it....hhhhmmmm...what to feed them? I also just read that flaxseed isn't good for chicks at all.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help...I know what not to feed them but it seems that I am fresh out of ideas as to what to feed them.

Hmmm... So the 12 grain cereal is out. If I give them just plain oatmeal and crush it, what could I give them for grit? I don't have any sterile sand or anything like that.

Argh! Bad chickie mom!!! :)

I just read on another thread that a quick fix could be scrambled eggs, green leafy veggies and oats mixed up. Phew! I'll get to the farm store first thing in the morning!!! This should be OK for overnight. Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:
Scramble eggs. Always a winner, although they'll have to be hungry.

I doubt any fine ground kid's ready to cook and eat cereal would be coarse enough to give the chicks any issue. Just be sure there's no chocolate flavoring or other goofiness in it. It is only going to be for a day. If you're worried, stir in a teaspoon or two of sand from the yard, somewhere.

Fine cornmeal would also be just fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom