Help.. I think I have an Egg Eater.....

Over the past view days I have noticed egg production severely dropping. Today, I got 1 egg from 16 consistent layers! I do not want to have to cull my whole flock and I need to solve the problem before others hens catch on and eat the eggs too. I have searched the internet and I can't find anything on this. Please Help!
hit.gif

Here's a sure cure use a roll out nest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221421937094?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I tried all the solutions out there and couldn't cure it then someone told me when I get eggs and eat them to bake or microwave the egg shells and crush smaller than sunflower seeds then mix in their food. It worked for me! Had only a few problems since!

yeah, you should really make roll away nest boxes, that allows the eggs to roll out of reach right when they are layed so they can't eat them.

Unfortunately once they get the taste there's not much you can do to stop them!

I had this problem with my last lot but didn't know who or how many of them were doing it. I ended up giving the lot away and starting again!

First you have to figure out which chicken or chickens are eating the eggs! I did this buy blowing out some eggs sealing one end with wax putting in some non toxic paint then sealing the other end. The chicken with the paint on her face was the culprit, I would separate her from the group and add extra calcium to her diet for about a week or two that usually did the trick if not well soup pot is were she/he went.

For everyone hoping that hens would be discouraged by hot/spicy things being put in blown out eggs, will be disappointed. Birds can't taste spicy things well (and most species can't smell particularly well, either).

First you have to figure out which chicken or chickens are eating the eggs! I did this buy blowing out some eggs sealing one end with wax putting in some non toxic paint then sealing the other end. The chicken with the paint on her face was the culprit, I would separate her from the group and add extra calcium to her diet for about a week or two that usually did the trick if not well soup pot is were she/he went.

using the paint is a really good idea!

I got rid of a hole clutch of Road Island Reds due to egg eating and they where free range feed 21% lay in the feeder. They still insisted in egg eating and then starter chasing down my older and good laying Orpington's and killing then and pecking out the backend of them and eating them! Seen them do it one day and could not believe what I was seeing in time to stop it. Up to that point though we had a predator killing my flock. Needless to say got rid of them and all my problems went way! Sticking with my Sweet Fluffy Orpington's. Found out later Road Island Reds are tricky to keep and do not mix with other breeds easily. Was also told they get in to bad habits easy and can reek havoc in a flock.

I have only heard of the mustard thing working for snakes. chickens love hot peppers. One of my friends says it adds flavor to their eggs and even separates his chickens based on what they eat. Based on everything I have learned. Chickens eat the eggs for two reasons, they don't want the other eggs around theirs or they lack the nutrients that are in the egg. Have you tried mixing broken shells or cooked eggs in with their feed? It would take time to tell if that was the problem. Try separating the offenders as you catch them maybe that chicken just doesn't like the others. Good luck.

I got rid of a hole clutch of Road Island Reds due to egg eating and they where free range feed 21% lay  in the feeder. They still insisted in egg eating and then starter chasing down my older and good laying Orpington's and killing then and pecking out the backend of them and eating them! Seen them do it one day and could not believe what I was seeing in time to stop it. Up to that point though we had a predator killing my flock. Needless to say got rid of them and all my problems went way! Sticking with my Sweet Fluffy Orpington's. Found out later Road Island Reds are tricky to keep and do not mix with other breeds easily. Was also told they get in to bad habits easy and can reek havoc in  a flock.
I think this is the "production red" variety you are talking about. Made to pump out eggs at all costs up to and including very aggressive competitive behavior.

Back
Top Bottom