Help.. I think I have an Egg Eater.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheEggCollecter, May 5, 2014.

1. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    North Dakota
    With the egg eater I mentioned separating last week, well after a week of her no longer pecking her own egg, I decided to put her back with the other girls as a final chance. Its been a week and not one cracked egg, idk why that would have changed her ways but so far so good. She's been laying quite well and her egg no longer has its signature peck mark on it.

It's almost funny, I instinctively always look for it because her eggs go in my stash. Old habits die hard.

2. Ringbauer Roost

Ringbauer Roost Just Hatched

Feb 6, 2014
    Western Nebraska
    I had this same issue. I put wooden eggs in the boxes and added curtains. Outta sight outta mind. I have guineas so I wasn't sure if it was one of them or a hen. Worked for me! Good luck. Feel for ya.

3. chick peeps

chick peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    I don't know, I have a production red and she is really sweet, just shy. And I have heard that Rhode Island Reds are aggressive and are higher on the pecking order, since I have heard that I will never get Rhode Island Reds

1 person likes this.
  4. susandonb

susandonb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    Only had one that did it three times. Did the yellow mustard egg and cured it immediately.

5. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    Golf balls worked for me, almost immediately. Once they realize there is no reward, they move on to something else. They may also need some toys. Hanging cabbage is a great distraction and will keep them busy.

6. Daniel23

Daniel23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2014
    You're flock might be laying their eggs some were else have you tried following then to see were they might be hiding them??

7. MyrtleCreekCat

MyrtleCreekCat New Egg

Mar 12, 2014
    I agree w/ previous poster. I'd suspect a rat snake or a bullsnake? I was once given a yellow rat snake that had swallowed a ceramic "nest egg," probably along w/ other real eggs that he had digested. We caught a bullsnake in a rabbit cage, trapped because it had swallowed 8 baby bunnies & was to fat to crawl back through the chicken wire. I love snakes, but they can be tough on livestock.

8. Gr8SilkieMom

Gr8SilkieMom Just Hatched

May 15, 2014
    Northern California
    An old farmer told me to put Red Pepper Flakes (found in the spice isle) in the chicken food. They love the taste of the flakes. It makes the egg smell bad (not to us), but the egg smells bad to the chicken and they will not eat the egg. The farmer swore the egg will not taste any different when you eat it. [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

red pepper flakes have other laying benefits too.

10. fransisca27

fransisca27 New Egg

May 2, 2014
    My Coop
    I have an egg eater and it's usually when I forget to refill the crushed egg shell dish or give them crushed oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by