Help.. I think I have an Egg Eater.....

With the egg eater I mentioned separating last week, well after a week of her no longer pecking her own egg, I decided to put her back with the other girls as a final chance. Its been a week and not one cracked egg, idk why that would have changed her ways but so far so good. She's been laying quite well and her egg no longer has its signature peck mark on it.

It's almost funny, I instinctively always look for it because her eggs go in my stash. Old habits die hard.

I had this same issue. I put wooden eggs in the boxes and added curtains. Outta sight outta mind. I have guineas so I wasn't sure if it was one of them or a hen. Worked for me! Good luck. Feel for ya.

I think this is the "production red" variety you are talking about. Made to pump out eggs at all costs up to and including very aggressive competitive behavior.

I don't know, I have a production red and she is really sweet, just shy. And I have heard that Rhode Island Reds are aggressive and are higher on the pecking order, since I have heard that I will never get Rhode Island Reds

Golf balls worked for me, almost immediately. Once they realize there is no reward, they move on to something else. They may also need some toys. Hanging cabbage is a great distraction and will keep them busy.

You're flock might be laying their eggs some were else have you tried following then to see were they might be hiding them??

I agree w/ previous poster. I'd suspect a rat snake or a bullsnake? I was once given a yellow rat snake that had swallowed a ceramic "nest egg," probably along w/ other real eggs that he had digested. We caught a bullsnake in a rabbit cage, trapped because it had swallowed 8 baby bunnies & was to fat to crawl back through the chicken wire. I love snakes, but they can be tough on livestock.

An old farmer told me to put Red Pepper Flakes (found in the spice isle) in the chicken food. They love the taste of the flakes. It makes the egg smell bad (not to us), but the egg smells bad to the chicken and they will not eat the egg. The farmer swore the egg will not taste any different when you eat it.
1f609.png
1f413.png

An old farmer told me to put Red Pepper Flakes (found in the spice isle) in the chicken food. They love the taste of the flakes. It makes the egg smell bad (not to us), but the egg smells bad to the chicken and they will not eat the egg. The farmer swore the egg will not taste any different when you eat it.
1f609.png
1f413.png
red pepper flakes have other laying benefits too.

Back
Top Bottom