Help! I think I killed my eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lilaravenfox, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Lilaravenfox

Lilaravenfox New Egg

Jan 29, 2015
    My eggs are on day 7. I just went to turn my eggs and I dont know how but my thermometer read 110°!!!! )=
    I have 18 eggs in and last time I turned them was about 5 hours ago! What should I do?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry about the problems with the incubation. Besides get the temp back to normal, keep a close eye on it to see what is going on/ going bad with the incubator, fortunately it does take the eggs themselves awhile to reach the incubator temperature so depending on how long the temps were that high the eggs might still have a chance, unfortunately the younger the eggs are the more susceptible they are to high temps... if you candle them in a few days you should be able to see if you have any viable eggs. Hope the eggs are OK.
    Nice article on temp effects on hatching eggs.
    http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx

3. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Don't panic! Get them cooled down and back to the correct temp, candle in a day or two. fingers crossed for you!

4. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    I had a similar thing happen to me last year, only the temp read 120 degrees! I fixed the problem but only maybe 2 pheasants hatched( out of about 25) and no chickens hatched( out of 6). I like using hens to hatch eggs better than using an incubator, as do most of you I assume, but it's unrealistic when I have 75 pheasant eggs to hatch and only one broody hen. And the hen only goes broody maybe once every 2 years. Non of my silkie hens go broody at all, so I'm left with that mixed bantam who hatches chickens when she does finally go broody.
    I have a question: is it possible to " force" a hen to go broody or is it one of those things you don't have control over?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by