Help! I think I may have all roosters??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mandie2281, Apr 16, 2008.

1. mandie2281

mandie2281 New Egg

Apr 13, 2008
    I am wondering when the rooster starts developing his spurs? I swear I can feel something growing on ALL of my chicks legs. Is it possible or am I wrong???

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    they will all have spur buds when they hatch. How old are they?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    All chickens grow "bumps" on their legs where the spurs will eventualy be on the males, don't let that alarm you.

The common ratio for straight run chicks is 50/50, it is possible to get a higher ratio of one sex or the other but would be rare to get all males.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    All chicks grow those little nubs on their legs...cockerals take almost 9 months to a year to grow spurs depending on the breed....my black orp is 9 months old and just starting his...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  5. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll feel the little bumps on all the chicks....pay more attention to the comb and wattles..the older they get the large the comb and wattles will get on the cockerals!
    Enjoy your chicks!

6. mandie2281

mandie2281 New Egg

Apr 13, 2008
    Oh gosh, thank you!! I was really worried. They are all about 3 weeks old. I tried to get 2 of each totaling 6 chicks. It seems as though 2 have a pretty dark red and large comb. I wish I knew how to post pictures, I would. I have taken plenty, hehe. I am hooked on chickens for life now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by