Help I Think I Want some MORE!!!

dsqard

Crazy "L" Farms
11 Years
Jun 11, 2010
I have been thinking about getting a few more hens and possibly a rooster to add to my small flock. I have been
droolin.gif
over the looks of Ameraucanas and have been thinking about ordering some from a breeder because I want B/B/S hens but the smallest order is 25 chicks and straight run. I do not want that many and yes I could possibly sell the extras but I found a possibility of getting some older pullets (almost POL) that are B/B/S. They are not hatchery stock so they should be pretty pure and honestly I don't need absolutely pure just really love the B/B/S colors. This lady who has them for sale is the same lady that I got my 2 SLW and 2 GLW from. She orders and sells a lot of chicks from the different hatcheries but she takes really good care of them while she has them. I got my 4 almost three months ago and they have never been sick. She also has a 3 year old blue wheaten Ameraucana roo that she swears is really tame, is good with the hens and is a proven "daddy". She would be willing to sell him to me only with the knowledge that he is not going to the stew pot. I am so tempted to do this even though I was planning on starting with chicks next spring. If you were in my shoes, what would you decide? Open to any suggestions!!!
thumbsup.gif

mmaddie's mom :

I'm so in the same boat ! And if B/B/S means blue/black/splash Ameraucanas, then exactly the same boat! Fall eggs? Spring eggs? Adult hens? Now? Spring? I just can't decide!
barnie.gif

Yes I meant blue/black/splash Ameraucanas. They are from a breeder near by so like I said, they should be pretty close to pure. Just love the looks of the Ameraucanas and the B/B/S colors!!!! I agree what to do, what to do??!!
barnie.gif
ya.gif

Do you have a current Head Roo?
hu.gif
If not, then I'd go for the Roo
big_smile.png
... and when you get there to pick him up you can decide to get more or not?
love.gif

I'm leaning towards getting some eggs to hatch
jumpy.gif
, but can't decide on this Fall or next Spring
idunno.gif
. My reasoning in getting eggs is that I have really good luck with my broody hens and then after the first 2 weeks bonding with Momma, they all go right into the flock with mom right there to protect them
D.gif
... this also seems the safest way to not bring any unwanted "stuff".
hmm.png
I also have a local poultry auction where I can get good $ for purebred/clean extra birds.
smile.png

Good luck with your decision!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
No currently no roo at all and I have been considering getting one to help watch out for the girls when they free range and help bring them in when its time. Not real interested in hatching eggs right now but thought it might be fun later on. Looked up what a wheaten rooster should look like. Very pretty.
big_smile.png
Also really tempted about the rooster since he is known to be really tame (of course will have to really check that out) Like the idea of going for the rooster and then seeing if I want some of the hens. Course just deluding myself and know that if I go for the rooster there will be hens on the ride back as well.
gig.gif

mmaddie's mom :

Another Bonus... if you bring home some hens at the same time , they can all quarantine together.
idunno.gif

See now that would work as an excuse for the hens!! Do you think that DH would buy it??!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom